Power Port

NewbieOC

I have been watching the install videos on YouTube..... some installers (when hard wiring) say to NOT plug the power cord into the power port at the top of the unit but to use the USB port on the SIDE of the camera. They said it must be plugged in that way for Parking Mode to work. Is that correct? The rear camera cord is tight with it there but it works. Ive been having an issue with my battery dying.... could this be why? Ive had power plugged into the top of the unit where it says POWER.

Andy

There are apparently some units that will allow parking mode to work properly when power is plugged into the port on the GPS mount (I assume this is what you mean by "top"), and some that don't. It looks like it was a running production change. The only way to know is to try as far as I know.

As for your issue, do you have the 3 wire installation kit? If so, have you verified the fuses you've tapped (again, assumptions) are switched and constant for the appropriate wires? What do you have the voltage cutoff set to? Have you tested voltage when you've found that the car won't start?

NewbieOC

There are apparently some units that will allow parking mode to work properly when power is plugged into the port on the GPS mount (I assume this is what you mean by "top"), and some that don't. It looks like it was a running production change. The only way to know is to try as far as I know.

As for your issue, do you have the 3 wire installation kit? If so, have you verified the fuses you've tapped (again, assumptions) are switched and constant for the appropriate wires? What do you have the voltage cutoff set to? Have you tested voltage when you've found that the car won't start?
Thanks for the reply....
I bought the tap kit and wire kit from Viofo and gave them both to the installer. But when I picked the car up, he gave me the tap kit back and said he didnt need it. Another community member said some installers by pass the tap. I have not pulled the panel up to verify how he wired it all. I switched th epower cord to now go into the USB port and it seems to work fine. I doubt it will fix my battery issue though. I think I need to take it back in and have them verify it was done properly.

Andy

If you're now powering the camera through a USB port, and that port is switched, then it's impossible for it to run your battery down. The camera will sense that power is interrupted and shut down when the car is turned off. If the USB port is always hot, then yeah, it will run down the battery eventually because the camera doesn't know any better and remains running.

The 3 wire kit is what allows the camera sense (not the camera, but the power supply) when the voltage has reached a minimum safe level and power itself off.