Rear camera not always recording in parking mode?

DM123

I recently bought an A129 Pro Duo and have noticed when going through the video recordings that the rear camera doesn't always record. The front camera will record but when I go to look at the rear recording it is either blank or shows 1 or 2 seconds worth of video. I was told by Blackboxmycar to do a firmware update even though it was already up to date with V1.1 to see if this would fix the problem. I did the firmware update as explained on Viofo website and it still has the same problem with not always recording the rear camera. I tried using 2 different compatible SD cards and made no difference. I used the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB and another 32GB made by Thinkware.
What could this issue be?

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

What do you mean by "blank"? Is there a file for the rear camera footage, but when you play it back, it's just blank? When there is just short rear camera footage, is the corresponding front camera footage from the same time OK, or is the front footage also shortened?
Sounds like a rear camera or rear cable issue. Re-seat all the cables and test again. Format the card inside the camera again before testing.
How are you powering the camera?

DM123

I will get 45 seconds of both front and rear camera footage but the rear will sometimes be blank or only plays a few seconds and stops.
At 11:33 am The front camera recorded 45 seconds and plays all 45 seconds. With 46MB worth of data recorded
At 11:33 am The rear camera shows nothing recorded for that same time period but shows 46MB worth of data recorded.
See the files attached for reference.
I've tried formating many times in the A129 camera with still no luck.
I have it hardwired with the Viofo HK3ACC hardwire kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

So this only occurs in parking mode? All files are fine in regular driving mode?

Have you tried to play the "blank" file with another player or on the dash camera itself? Try VLC.

How are you powering the camera?

DM123

Thus far I've only caught it happening in parking mode videos.

I just tried it in my neighbors new iMac and the file didn't play either.

When trying to play it in the camera it says (file error) then seems to crash and the camera shuts off. I tried it twice and both times the camera shut down when trying to play the video. Interesting!

When the camera is in the car it's hardwired and when I take it inside I power it with a portable USB battery pack.

DM123

I formatted both Samsung 128 GB Pro Endurance cards using SDFormatter and GUI to FAT32. Didn't make a difference. This is my second Viofo A129 Pro Duo I purchased in the last 30 days and still having the same issue. I ended up returning both cameras. I also ran into other problems with my second camera that started to have auto exposure problems in parking mode with the footage flickering really dark to light like a light switch on and off. ANYONE ELSE HAVING THESE ISSUES ??????

Capture Your Action

When you received your second camera, did you use all new hardware and cables? Or did you only swap out the cameras?

DM123

I replaced everything except the rear cable. I was told that this was most likely a rear camera issue and that the cable was most likely not the problem. It only happens in parking mode and night footage. This to me sounds like a software issue.

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Hard to say what your particular issue is. If it was a software issue, everyone would be having this issue, but you are the only one I’ve seen/heard having it. Most issues with the rear camera are either the rear camera itself or the cable. Since you replaced everything but the cable and your still having this issue, I’d suspect the cable at this point. I do admit that it sounds unlikely that a bad cable would cause issues only during parking mode or at night, but at this point, it’s the only common denominator.