RO/Locked Files Overwritten?

IanMac

Hi

I have the following issue and Viofo customer service has been woeful in their response so far:

When I press the ‘Emergency Recording’ button, it locks the file and saves it in the Locked Files Folder (on the app and the RO folder on the card). The problem is that within 24 hours those locked files have disappeared and are nowhere to be found.

The manual states:

===========================
Emergency Recording

2. Manual emergency recording

Pressing the [ ⚠︎ ] button during a recording will lock the current file being recorded. Once locked, the file will not be overwritten by the loop recording feature.
===========================

So, I reached out to Viofo for some help and the first reply, well I don't think they read my email. So I followed it up and it took them more than 2 weeks to reply with this
"You may use SD with a bigger space.
Please understand that overwriting can help sustain the good function of the card and the cam.
Please also understand that we are improving on that point.
"
This happens even when I save 1 recording - next day it's gone!

Right now, I'm not too happy with my decision to purchase Viofo!!

Viofo A129 Pro Duo
Viofo Hardwire Kit
Samsung Evo 128gb

Veighn

I am having this exact same problem with the same hardware (129 Pro Duo, Viofo Hardwire Kit, Samsung 128GB card) . I can press the ⚠︎ button but the file that I want to be saved actually gets deleted. I just locked a file today on the drive home then I went and pulled the Micro SD card a couple hours later and all the files leading up to and after the event were on the card but NOT the one I locked. No files at all end up saved in the RO folder

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
I am having this exact same problem with the same hardware (129 Pro Duo, Viofo Hardwire Kit, Samsung 128GB card) . I can press the ⚠︎ button but the file that I want to be saved actually gets deleted. I just locked a file today on the drive home then I went and pulled the Micro SD card a couple hours later and all the files leading up to and after the event were on the card but NOT the one I locked. No files at all end up saved in the RO folder
Hello,

Please check if the storage of the locked files is out of 30% of the SD card's capacity. If it is, the locked files can be auto-overwritten.

technokami

Hello,

Please check if the storage of the locked files is out of 30% of the SD card's capacity. If it is, the locked files can be auto-overwritten.
That kind of defeats the purpose of locking the files in the first place, does it not?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
That kind of defeats the purpose of locking the files in the first place, does it not?
The purpose is to protect the SD card and the new clips that are probably more important for you. It also can remind you to clean the storage and make more space for the new clips.

raab

The purpose is to protect the SD card and the new clips that are probably more important for you. It also can remind you to clean the storage and make more space for the new clips.
If you reserve 30% of the storage for the RO folder then it should be irelevant as the camera can continue to loop the remaining 70% of storage..

Loop recording should not be able to overwrite locked files, locked files should only allowed to be deleted manually or overwritten when a new file is locked.. deleting the oldest locked file etc. This means that RO files can never consume all space, and loop recording can not delete RO files.. win/win?

I have the same issue as the OP, only 1 manually locked file and it has already been overwritten in 24 hours by normal loop recording on a 256gb sd card

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
If you reserve 30% of the storage for the RO folder then it should be irelevant as the camera can continue to loop the remaining 70% of storage..

Loop recording should not be able to overwrite locked files, locked files should only allowed to be deleted manually or overwritten when a new file is locked.. deleting the oldest locked file etc. This means that RO files can never consume all space, and loop recording can not delete RO files.. win/win?

I have the same issue as the OP, only 1 manually locked file and it has already been overwritten in 24 hours by normal loop recording on a 256gb sd card
Hello,

We recommend you format the card to have a try. You can take this link as a reference: How to format the microSD card? : VIOFO Support Center

raab

I formatted the card last night via the camera, so I’ll create a manual event and see how long it stays

raab

Not even 24 hours later, and not even a full sd card and the locked files I created 30/06/21 at 16:38 are gone

And today:

There's still 140GB free, so why are the locked files gone?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Not even 24 hours later, and not even a full sd card and the locked files I created 30/06/21 at 16:38 are gone
View attachment 993View attachment 994

And today:
View attachment 995View attachment 996

There's still 140GB free, so why are the locked files gone?
Hello,

Could you tell me what card do you use? Could you please use another card to have a try?

We suppose you can try to test your card referring to this article: How to test your microSD card? : VIOFO Support Center

You also can update the firmware to the latest V2.3 as attached.

Here is the updating instruction: VIOFO Firmware Update Guide Step-by-Step - VIOFO Official Website

Attachments

raab

Using a 256GB Sandisk High Endurance card

Tests fine:

I'll try with 2.3

raab

The locked files have disappeared again, the RO folder is empty

They were locked at 8:50PM last night and I'd only driven for an hour today

There's 215GB free on the card

So 2.3 hasn't helped, either the camera is faulty or something is wrong with the sdcard but I'm more inclined to think its the former..

Furthermore, I noticed that no gsensor events I caused in parking mode were locked either.. don't know if that's an issue with 2.3 as I hadn't tried it before applying 2.3

Attachments

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
The locked files have disappeared again, the RO folder is empty

They were locked at 8:50PM last night and I'd only driven for an hour today
View attachment 1000

There's 215GB free on the card

So 2.3 hasn't helped, either the camera is faulty or something is wrong with the sdcard but I'm more inclined to think its the former..

Furthermore, I noticed that no gsensor events I caused in parking mode were locked either.. don't know if that's an issue with 2.3 as I hadn't tried it before applying 2.3
Hello,

This problem may be caused by the inappropriate proportion of the RO file.

We designed the attached firmware to fix this issue. Could you please download and update the firmware to have a try?

Attachments

raab

Yep, though I just went out and bought a Samsung Evo Plus 256gb sd card to rule out the Sandisk o_O

I'll try the attached firmware, thanks!

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, though I just went out and bought a Samsung Evo Plus 256gb sd card to rule out the Sandisk o_O

I'll try the attached firmware, thanks!
You're welcome! Hope the problem can be fixed! And please remember to format your new microSD card to FAT32 before using it.

Waiting for the result!

raab

Hello,

This problem may be caused by the inappropriate proportion of the RO file.

We designed the attached firmware to fix this issue. Could you please download and update the firmware to have a try?
Ok, so the 256gb Samsung Evo Plus suffered the same issue with the RO files being deleted on 2.3 build 20210330. That rules out sd card brand..

So I upgraded to the 2.3 build 20210622 firmware in your latest post but unfortunately wifi doesn't work.. doesn't matter whether I use 2.4 or 5ghz the SSID doesn't get broadcast.

If I try manually specify the SSID it doesn't work either. So I rolled back to 2.3 build 20210330 and wifi works fine, rolled forward to 2.3 build 20210622 and wifi doesn't work again.. I've defaulted settings and pressed the reset button for 5+ seconds..

I feel we're close, after a 2 hour drive the RO files I took at the beginning of the journey are still present on the sd card. And gsensor parking alerts ended up in the RO folder too.

So 2.3 build 20210622 might have solved the RO issue, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. But the big issue is wifi isn't working with this build

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so the 256gb Samsung Evo Plus suffered the same issue with the RO files being deleted on 2.3 build 20210330. That rules out sd card brand..

So I upgraded to the 2.3 build 20210622 firmware in your latest post but unfortunately wifi doesn't work.. doesn't matter whether I use 2.4 or 5ghz the SSID doesn't get broadcast.

If I try manually specify the SSID it doesn't work either. So I rolled back to 2.3 build 20210330 and wifi works fine, rolled forward to 2.3 build 20210622 and wifi doesn't work again.. I've defaulted settings and pressed the reset button for 5+ seconds..

I feel we're close, after a 2 hour drive the RO files I took at the beginning of the journey are still present on the sd card. And gsensor parking alerts ended up in the RO folder too.

So 2.3 build 20210622 might have solved the RO issue, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. But the big issue is wifi isn't working with this build
Sorry for the confusion caused! Please use the attached firmware to have a try. It fixed the issue of SSID.

Attachments

raab

No worries, the good news with build 20210622 is that the RO files I took yesterday are still present:

I'll try the attached firmware to see if wifi is fixed