SD Card Corrupted

Hammer2001

I’ve just installed a new A129 Plus Duo in my car after using a Nextbase dash cam for the last 7 years. The install went fine and the camera seemed to be working ok. I was able to connect it ok to the app on my phone and view the clips while in the car.
After a few trips in day and night time conditions I took out the SD card to check the footage on my PC. Daytime footage was good, but I was very disappointed in the night footage, very noisy and grainy and not as good as clips from this camera I have seen online. I checked forums and picked up some suggestions to change in the settings, so put the sd card back in the camera and changed the settings and have done a few more trips.

So today when I took the sd card out again to look at them on the PC, I found the card seems to be corrupted. There are no video files in the DCIM\Movies folder, only one file named USB??????. (Can’t remember the exact name).

The camera appeared to be recording ok, and there was no format warnings. The SD card is a brand new Sandisk 256GB high endurance card.
I found some other forum threads with a similar problem, and they suggest a corrupted card.

Is it wrong to take the card out to view on a PC, does this action corrupt the card?
Should I always reformat the card in the dash cam after using it on a PC.

I never had any issues doing this with the old Nextbase cam.
But if I can’t trust the cam to record the files then it’s not worth having.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

We would recommend using the Samsung Pro Endurance card. Can you please try another card from Samsung?

Please note that inserting or pulling out the SD card when the dashcam is working would damage the card and dashcam.

Hammer2001

Thank you for your reply

I didn't remove or insert the card with the camera running. I waited until all the lights go out on the camera before removing the card and reinstall it before starting the car.

As I say the first time the files were fine on the pc, just the second time everything has gone.

I notice in the manual it says to remove the camera and connect that to the pc to read the files. Is that the proper way to do it?

A bit inconvenient , and seeing as a a card reader is supplied with the camera, I’d assume it was ok to remove the card?

I’ve since reformatted the card in the camera and recorded more footage, which has recorded ok. The card also passed a test using the H2Testw software.

Others have recommended I always reformat the card in the camera after using it on the PC, so that's what I'll get in the habit of doing, and hopefully it will stop this issue happening again.

I am using a Sandisk high endurance card, which has been recommended in many forums for dashcams, do you not recommend these cards for this camera and only the Samsung Pro Endurance cards?