skips in recording/ missing clips

jeff000

Has anyone experienced this problem? Has anyone noticed gaps in recording when it should be non-stop?

I recently needed to pull some footage from my unit and it was missing. I was driving at the time, so the unit should have been recording non-stop. There was no recording at the time I needed, but there was footage before and after. I didn't do a 'Save' using the protect button and the card wasn't full, so nothing was overwritten.

Looked at more recordings and noticed that the 3-minute length was not consistent AND there was a gap between each recording. Video length was .5-3 minutes each. A 2.5 minute recording had a .5-.75 minute gap before the next recorded video started. All this inconsistency was during driving, so there should have been a bunch of 3-minute clips without interruption.

The memory card is a microSDXC UHS-1/U1 Class 10 as recommended. Firmware is v1.5. Fuse taps are in appropriate locations and checked with a meter.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Capture Your Action

I have never heard of that brand. I would try another card. Get a good brand name card. The SanDisk Ultra A1 card works great with the Viofo cameras. Just make sure it's the A1 series (must say A1 on the card), as the older, non A1 cards, should not be used in any dash camera. The Samsung EVO Select (Amazon) is a known good card in the Viofo cameras as well.

jeff000

Thanks. I'll check it with a Samsung EVO I have. Team Group has been a memory MFG for over 20yrs. The "Dash Card" is promoted for use in dash cams and has high heat specs ... 85C.

I don't know the shock rating, but I've not lost data with a Team card, where I have lost data with other brands when a device experienced high G-forces.

jeff000

Thanks. I'll check it with a Samsung EVO I have. Team Group has been a memory MFG for over 20yrs. The "Dash Card" is promoted for use in dash cams and has high heat specs ... 85C.

I don't know the shock rating, but I've not lost data with a Team card, where I have lost data with other brands when a device experienced high G-forces.

jeff000

Ok. I checked 2 other memory cards I grabbed on my way out the door to test.

Original problem: Skips in recording. Unit would produce 1-3 minute clips and then miss/ not record for 1 minute or so and then record again.
Setup: 3-minute clips, front camera only(rear cam cable installed and connected but camera not connected), high bit rate, can't remember if WiFi was on
Memory card: Team Group, 128GB DashCard(high heat property = 85deg C)

Test #1
Setup: 3-minute clips, front & rear cameras connected, high bit rate, WiFi was on
Test memory card: Team Group, 128GB Dash Card microSDXC UHS-1/U1 Class 10 (same 'problem' card))
***Results: 5-minute test. 30-second clips with 30-second skips or missing clips. Sometimes the skip was longer than 30-seconds.

Test #2
Setup: 3-minute clips, front & rear cameras connected, high bit rate, WiFi was on
Test memory card: Team Group, 64GB 500x microSDXC UHS-1/U1 Class 10
***Results: 30-min test. 3-minute clips with no skips or missing clips. Complete coverage.

Test #3
Test memory card: Samsung, 128GB EVO Select UHS-1/U1 Class 10
***Results: 30-min test. 3-minute clips with no skips or missing clips. Complete coverage.

Looks like the Dash Card will end up in a tablet or something.