Video quality

benkar

I'm not much satisfied with camera recordings (front and back) recently. It seems to me that the quality of the recording has decreased (blurring and small squares in the image). The image is almost the same when using a CPL filter without it. Tested on multiple browsers (VLC, DashCam viewer, Media Player Classic). WiFi is still off - I do not use it.
What is your opinion on the quality of the records?
Thank you for your appreciation.

Attachments

Last edited:

GilesP

I've not been running my camera for long (i.e. just this morning) I'm finding compression artifacts on playback, Using VLC and also the window 10 inbuilt video player. Typically this is on number-plate detail, though sometimes it is ok, I guess it's a function of the compression settings, some moments are clear, some aren't. It seems to be worse in high- contrast scenarios -driving towards the sun on a clear day for example - this could also be related to the cleanliness of my windscreen though :rolleyes:

Below are two examples, grabbed from stills from VLC, note the number plate detail on the oncoming vans, they're taken a few seconds apart.

View media item 1
View media item 2377378377378

GilesP

By and large, it's not too bad. I need to compare it with some footage from my old Mini 0803 to see how well it shapes up, but I always felt the mini0803 showed less artifacts, however that might not actually be the case.
It bugs me that the visible compression artifacts is inconsistent, some frames are quite clear, others not so, but I think that is a function of the compression method, certain key-frames are redrawn completely, and ones in between are just modified to look 'about right' It would be good to increase the frequency of key-frames, however that will obviously hurt file size and capacity, and maybe increase the processor load too much.

BCHobbyist

Website
viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com
By and large, it's not too bad. I need to compare it with some footage from my old Mini 0803 to see how well it shapes up, but I always felt the mini0803 showed less artifacts, however that might not actually be the case.
It bugs me that the visible compression artifacts is inconsistent, some frames are quite clear, others not so, but I think that is a function of the compression method, certain key-frames are redrawn completely, and ones in between are just modified to look 'about right' It would be good to increase the frequency of key-frames, however that will obviously hurt file size and capacity, and maybe increase the processor load too much.
The sample footage may be suffering from low bitrate,
  • verify Firmware v1.50 Bitrate is set to High.
  • clean inside and outside windshield.
  • attach CPL Filter.
  • post footage with sun from behind to confirm best possible quality.
  • could try one of my MODs

GilesP

The sample footage may be suffering from low bitrate,
  • verify Firmware v1.50 Bitrate is set to High.
  • clean inside and outside windshield.
  • attach CPL Filter.
  • post footage with sun from behind to confirm best possible quality.
  • could try one of my MODs
Straight off I can confirm the bitrate is set to high, and the CPL filter is attached. The windshield is as clean as it likely to be, it's seen nearly 100,000 miles and isn't in the first flush of youth, however I make a point of regularly degreasing the inside.

I think the firmware is 1.50 - I recall seeing something about the firmware when setting up, but will confirm.

I did see something about turning off WDR, I may try this as well.

BCHobbyist

Website
See if the actual MP4 recorded file bitrate is 8 or 16 or 20 Mbps. Many video players/viewers will reveal this information or get properties directly from RAW file. When Wide Dynamic Range is enabled expect increased motion blurring since it uses 3 frames of video so 30fps becomes 27fps. I've never used WDR in the last 2 years on any Dashcam with good results. Easy to toggle WDR to see differences but while testing turn off.

GilesP

File is 442MB, 3min segment length, Bitrate is 20kb/s encoded using H264 60fps (I'm not running the rear camera at the moment).

BCHobbyist

Website
File is 442MB, 3min segment length, Bitrate is 20kb/s encoded using H264 60fps (I'm not running the rear camera at the moment).
If all your test footage is unacceptable at 20Mbps especially in treed/brush/highway scenes you may want to take one of my new MODs for a test drive. For noticeable image quality improvement I'd recommend A129 MOD-6Up. All my modified firmware has been tested by dedicated team worldwide with no issues.
Viofo's official A129 firmware downloads as binary file named FWA129.bin
my MOD files must be renamed from FWA129_MOD-6Up_v1.50+26F+18RMbs+Enhanced+DCTeam.bin to FWA129.bin before updating.
Its all explained on my website.
How to Install Modified Firmware : https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com

GilesP

Thanks for the pointer - I will have a look at the settings again and consider the firmware option when I get some time, at the moment I need to get the rear camera installed and running and then consider the situation again.

benkar

If all your test footage is unacceptable at 20Mbps especially in treed/brush/highway scenes you may want to take one of my new MODs for a test drive. For noticeable image quality improvement I'd recommend A129 MOD-6Up. All my modified firmware has been tested by dedicated team worldwide with no issues.
Viofo's official A129 firmware downloads as binary file named FWA129.bin
my MOD files must be renamed from FWA129_MOD-6Up_v1.50+26F+18RMbs+Enhanced+DCTeam.bin to FWA129.bin before updating.
Its all explained on my website.
How to Install Modified Firmware : https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com
Thank you for the firmware mods. That must have been a lot of work. Is the language selection in menu option retained in the firmware modes? I was looking at some of your videos, but I haven't found many differences in quality yet. I'll watch the next one. Thanks

BCHobbyist

Website
Thank you for the firmware mods. That must have been a lot of work. Is the language selection in menu option retained in the firmware modes? I was looking at some of your videos, but I haven't found many differences in quality yet. I'll watch the next one. Thanks
YouTube video compression doesn't retain enough fine detail. The A129 official firmware uses 20Mb/s Bitrate which still shows blocky mushy sections of a scene, 24Mb/s and higher improve image quality in complex scenes reducing the blocky bits. The best way is to load a MOD and see the difference yourself compared to your previous recorded footage. I'm currently releasing A119 Firmware and haven't posted the A129 Up series test footage, hopefully tonight. All MODs retain all language Menus.

benkar

YouTube video compression doesn't retain enough fine detail. The A129 official firmware uses 20Mb/s Bitrate which still shows blocky mushy sections of a scene, 24Mb/s and higher improve image quality in complex scenes reducing the blocky bits. The best way is to load a MOD and see the difference yourself compared to your previous recorded footage. I'm currently releasing A119 Firmware and haven't posted the A129 Up series test footage, hopefully tonight. All MODs retain all language Menus.
Thank you for the information. I like to try. Many successes to your work.

Last edited:

benkar

Thank you for the information. I like to try. Many successes to your work.
So, today I flashed the original firmware 1.50 to your MOD 7Up and I will see how the video quality has changed. I hope the quality will be better than with the original fw 1.50. I use a 128GB SD card and hope that something will fit on it. I'll continue experimenting with other versions of your modes. Thank you again and I wish you much success with other improvements. :)