Viofo A119S does not start up correctly

Terry Haebich

Was a working unit that seems to have stopped working in December 2018 (going by date/time stamp on the recorded videos) - only noticed this after it started continuously beeping until power removed a week ago.

When DC power is connected via the car's Viofo supplied USB cable, a USB power plug or PC USB port (both with two different USB cables), the <REC button lights, the power on delay of about 10 seconds occurs and then unit beeps and VIOFO is displayed on the screen but that's it - VIOFO remains displayed until power is removed and capacitor discharges.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of the control buttons (including during the unit power on), the reset button and version 4.0 firmware upgrade (<REC button flashes as if the upgrade is occurring and the firmware file is deleted from the SD card).

I raised a fault call with Viofo support on 03Feb19 but have had no response.

Thanks,
Terry

VIOFO-Swin

When power removed, the LED shut off immediately or not? If immediately off, it is the problem of the capacitor, please contact with the distributor for warranty.

Terry Haebich

The unit does not shutdown immediately i.e. as per above comment - "VIOFO remains displayed until power is removed and capacitor discharges."

It took a while but Viofo support responded to my support ticket. After retracing my diagnostic steps and getting the same result I have been asked to send the unit to them to do "hands on" analysis (comment was that this issue is normally fixed by a firmware upgrade)

Capture Your Action

Might want to check the image sensor cable connection before sending. Remove and re-seat the cable from the main board. If the ribbon cable has become loose somehow, it will cause the camera to hang on the Viofo splash screen. Worth a check before paying to ship back to China.

Terry Haebich

Thanks for the input but I cannot check as I sent the unit at lunchtime today. I have asked Viofo support to let me know what they find.