Viofo A129 Duo Installation into a 2018 Honda HR-V

Randy_Buss

Today I installed my Viofo A129 Duo into our 2018 Honda HR-V. Although every vehicle is different, I'd imagine there are many similarities that can be applied, so here's what's involved for the 2018 Honda CR-V.

1. Remove the panels on the hatch, as well as the rear drivers side cargo panels located closest to the rubber wire grommet to the hatch.

2. Pull the rubber wire grommet out of the cutouts in the hatch and the body of the vehicle, and feed the rear camera usb plug through the grommet in the direction through the grommet leading toward where the rear camera will be mounted. Due to the size of the micro usb plug and the grommet opening, this was challenging, but it can be done if you're patient and carefully persistant. I slightly moistened the exterior of the usb plug prior to insertion into the grommet to aid in allowing it to slip through more easily (It's a very tight fit). Once the plug end to the rear camera has passed through the grommet, pull enough wire through to allow for connection to the rear camera location.

Note: My initial plan was to run the wire above the headliner for the rear camera, however, I couldn't find a pathway for the wire so I opted to run the wire under the door openings instead. I was very concerned if there was enough length of wire to reach the front control camera, but I'm happy to say to my surprise the wire length was perfect (but I wouldn't have wanted it to be any shorter). Wire length could pose as a challenge for people with longer vehicles.

3. Remove all of the interior panels along the entire driver side of the vehicle. Note: To remove the panels around the door openings, you will also need to pull off sections of the rubber door seals. Although you could entirely remove the rubber door seals if you choose to do so, I was able to remove the panels without
I chose to only remove the sections necessary to remove the interior trim. I did it this way purposely because in the past, with other vehicles I've owned, I've learned it can sometimes be challenging to properly reinstall rubber door seals to line up perfectly in the corners.

4. Insert the wire for the front camera into the wire grommet opening of the vehicle body and pull the remaining wire through, then reinsert and seat the wire grommet back into the opening to the hatch and the opening to the vehicle body.

5. Using small zip ties every 6-8 inches, to secure the dashcam wire, run the dashcam wire along the length of the vehicle wire harness leading to the front through the door wells. Pay special attention around the seat belt pathway to insure the wire is secured properly so as not to interupt the operation and safety function of the rear passenger seat belt.

6. Once you reach the drivers seat area, remove the front driver side windshield pillar panel and feed the rear dashcam wire up through the pillar from underneath the dash. Additionally, while your here, feed the power supply for the main front dashcam down through this pillar. As mentioned for the rear passenger seat belt, it's critical you use extra zip ties and pay special attention to secure the dashcam wires next to the airbag (mounted along this pillar) in a manner to insure the wires don't interupt or obstruct the airbag deployment pathway. VERY VERY IMPORTANT! Do not secure the wires to the airbag! There is a wire harness along this pillar to which you can safely secure the wires.

7. After reaching the headliner at the front of the vehicle, pull the rear dashcam wire and the power supply wire over to the control camera mounted on the windshield and plug it in. Aftwerwards, simply push the remaining dashcam wire hanging across the windshield under the headliner. Note: There appears to be a grove along the edge of the headliner of the 2018 Honda HR-V to allow wires to be run and hidden. My installation had very little extra rear camera wire to hide in the end, however, I would recommend you coil up and secure any extra wire length under the dash if you have extra.

8. Run the power supply wire for the main control dashcam under and across the underside of the dash to connect it to one of the usb terminals in the vehicle. Coil up any extra power supply wire and be sure to secure the wire out of the way of any moving parts. Note: When the hardwire kit becomes available for the Viofo A129 Duo, this will need to be re-examined. I'm hoping the hardwire kit for the Viofo A129 Duo will be designed with a simple usb port to allow for simple plug and play of the usb wire already installed for power.

9. Inspect your entire wiring installation to insure the entire wire length is secured. Additionally, to allow for flexing of the wire when opening and closing the rear hatch, be sure to allow a little bit of slack in the wire at the location where it passes through the wire grommet to the rear hatch.

10. Plug the wire into the rear dashcam and temporarily, using masking tape, secure the rear dashcam in the location where you're planning to mount the rear camera. Afterwards, retreive the top trim panel of the rear hatch and lightly hold it in it's proper location and mark where the wire will need to pass through the panel (I used a permanant marker to mark the location). You will need to file a small groove on this mark to allow for the wire to pass through the panel toward the rear dashcam.

11. Turn your vehicle power on and verify the Viofo A129 Duo is functioning correctly with both cameras. If all is good, reinstall all of your interior trim panels and rubber door seals, and your done.