What is the purpose/ intention of the "Format Warning" option

Capture Your Action

It reminds you to format the card inside the camera. It should be done every month or two and every time the card has been removed from the camera and used in another device.

AdV

Its generally l good idea to so format your card once it begins to get above 3/4 full or around once every 3 months if you use it frequently (every day). Over time your card collects small fragments of erased images. The accumulative effect of fragment build up begins to reduce memory and slows performance. This also makes the card more likely to become infected by harmful viruses that can cause corruptions and loss of important files. (In which case you'll need to format the card anyways just to rid the SD card of the virus). Lastly, and I mean no disrespect but you can never harm your SD card with a simple format. That's nonsense. Its actually quite the opposite. Formatting is recommended and often even encouraged. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

bob_a_builder

Ok - Its just I have never heard or been made aware of SD cards requiring that level of maintenance before

I have SD cards operating in home security cameras which are recording to SD 24/7 and as far as I'm aware there has been no suggestion from that camera manufacturer do perform regular formats, nor is there any similar option in their app to warn me to format

Same with my Drone, I don't reformat that card each time I move it the PC to download data and then back to the drone

I do understand they use the FAT system as such and so could benefit from a 'defrag'