A119 V3 Does not sense or enter Parking mode after firmware update V1.03

Valkyrie

Just as the title says, after updating firmware to V1.03, the A119 V3 does not enter Parking modes with only DC. Does not enter Parking mode with Hardwire kit unless ignition switch is first turned on and off.

Capture Your Action

Does not enter Parking mode with Hardwire kit unless ignition switch is first turned on and off.
Are you sure it didn't do this with V1.02? Pretty sure this is how the A129 operates as well. I'll test it when I have a chance.

Valkyrie

Are you sure it didn't do this with V1.02? Pretty sure this is how the A129 operates as well. I'll test it when I have a chance.
Positive mine did not behave this way with V1.02. Parking mode will not work for anyone using lighter socket or power bank. I rolled back to V1.02 and it now goes into parking mode after 5 min on DC as well if I connect to GPS mount.

Capture Your Action

So just tested the V1.03 with the 3-wire hardwire kit and regular 5V USB power. I don't notice anything different when using the 3-wire kit. Parking mode engages and disengages when it see's 12V on the yellow wire and when it doesn't. If you unplug the camera while it's in parking mode, let it shut down, then plug it back in, then the camera powers on normally (not back into parking mode). This has always been the case for the A129 cameras, so it makes sense to see it on the A119V3 as well. The camera needs to see the trigger wire (yellow wire) with it's 12V and then not see it to enter parking mode. I tested this on both V1.02 and V1.03. Without the yellow wire, the camera is acting as it's being powered via a normal single 12V and ground and should enter parking mode after no motion for whatever the firmware is set for.
Now, when powering via a 5V USB power source, the time to enter parking mode, after no sensed motion, appears to be different in V1.03 than in V1.02 (and the A129 and A119V2 cameras). It takes 10 minutes of no motion for the A119V3 to enter parking mode, instead of the regular 5 minutes on V1.02. Not sure if this was intentional on Viofo or not, but it does enter parking mode.

Valkyrie

I'm updating this forum from our conversation from the other. Nothing new or different from what I posted there.

Thanks for testing. I don't get Parking mode to engage at all when there's only 12V on yellow wire unless I first have 12V on the red wire with V1.03. As well I don't get Parking mode when using a power bank with V1.03.

With V1.02 I can plug it in to my car 3-wire hardwire kit to GPS, (key off) it will start up in Normal mode and it will go into parking mode in 5 min without any trigger or turning on ignition.
With V1.03 it does not, will start in normal recording mode and it will stay in Normal recording until I turn on ignition and turn it back off. Then it will go into parking mode.

The same if I connect to a power bank sitting on my desk with V1.02 it will start in normal recording then go into Parking mode in 5 min
But with V1.03 I quit testing at around 10-12 min usually and it never went into parking mode but stayed in Normal recording mode.

Here's the results of one of the tests I did this morning on power bank sitting on my desk with lens covered and setup for Auto event detection, it ran from 8:58:20 - 9:12:20, 14 min of run time and never went into parking mode. IDK what the difference is but on mine at least it doesn't switch into parking mode like it does with V1.02 either off DC power or through the hardwire kit.

Attachments

Capture Your Action

Thanks for testing. I don't get Parking mode to engage at all when there's only 12V on yellow wire unless I first have 12V on the red wire with V1.03. As
I will rerun my tests again when I have time, just to confirm what I experienced is repeatable.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by only having 12V on the yellow wire. The yellow wire is a trigger wire only, it does not power the camera in any way. If there is no power at the red wire, the camera will never power on. Not sure when there will ever be a situation when there would be 12V on the yellow wire (accessory wire) and no power at the red wire (BATT + wire). I can see where the car might supply power to one slightly quicker to one than the other though I suppose, which could trip up the camera.

Valkyrie

I understand what your saying in regard to the yellow wire not powering the cam. The power used is from Pad 1 (closest to center) +5V and Pad 4 (closest to side) Ground. Pad 1 (+5V) and Pad 4 (Ground) are always 5V when connected to source power.

Pad 3 (2nd from side) is the Sense or yellow wire. With Key Off Pad 3 becomes ground and has 5V between Pad 1 and Pad 3. With Key On Pad 3 is an open circuit.

That sentence you quoted I wrote poorly and incorrectly, I'll try to explain what I was trying to say.

With hardwire kit connected to GPS & Key Off. This would put 5V to pads 1 & 4 as well as pads 1 & 3 for Sense.

Connecting the A119 V3 to the GPS mount using firmware V1.02 it will enter parking mode in 5 min with no other action.

Connecting the A119 V3 to the GPS mount using V1.03 does not enter parking mode. Except if I turn on ignition and turn it back off (which effectively opens the pad 3 sense circuit and closes it again) at which point it will enter parking mode.

In my mind it's as if there was a loop routine in V1.02 that checks pad 3's voltage and entered parking mode when Sensed but has been removed with V1.03. IDK I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

The end result was I could not get parking mode with dc connection at all. And the only time parking mode worked on hardwire kit was if I manually triggered the sense by turning the ignition key on and off. I've since rolled back to V1.02 and it's working normally.

Valkyrie

I will rerun my tests again when I have time, just to confirm what I experienced is repeatable.
I decided I'd test again to see if I could replicate your results, I can not. However I have found it will go into parking mode with only DC power with V1.03. Just not consistently or in the 10 - 12 min time frame I was testing. I assume the results would be the same connecting to GPS with hardwire kit.

What I first did since I had V1.02 firmware installed was do 3 tests to verify parking mode working by connecting with dc power and laying on my desk, configured for Auto Event detection (easier for me to see since it causes the led to flash in parking mode) and with the lens taped over.

All 3 tests entered parking mode at 5 min with V1.02.
9:23-9:28
9:33-9:38
9:40 - 9:45

Then I flashed the V1.03 firmware.
Defaulted Settings
Formatted SD
Reconfigured all settings exactly as I had them with V1.02

The first test gave me hope when it did enter parking mode at 15 min (10:06-10:21. I thought well maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time when I was testing previously so started 2nd test. Second test at 27 min entered parking mode. (10:25-10:52), thought that to be odd so started test 3 and it entered parking mode in 12 min (11:13-11:25). The 4th and last test I did never entered parking mode, started it at 11:26 and stopped it at 12:27.

So for the 4 tests with V1.03
10:06-10:21 15 min
10:25-10:52 27 min
11:13-11:25 12 min
11:26-12:27 Stopped testing at 1 hour mark and still had not entered parking mode.

So in part it does enter parking mode with V1.03. I have no idea why there's so much inconsistency in the amount of time it takes to enter parking mode with V1.03 as the conditions, configuration and test were the same as what I did with V1.02. I've went back to V1.02 again and it's back to entering parking mode consistently in 5 min.

One other thing I noticed you may have some insight to that I don't as I don't know anything about video. But the 4th test that did not enter parking mode I noticed most all files for that hour long duration were 28mbps and a few at 29 mbps. Almost always I see 30mbps when I review the files. This was recording a covered lens so there was no color, motion or anything just black. When I noticed the bitrate difference I connected it to power again and let it record for a few min and without changing any configuration the files were back to 30mbps.

Capture Your Action

I decided I'd test again to see if I could replicate your results, I can not. However I have found it will go into parking mode with only DC power with V1.03. Just not consistently or in the 10 - 12 min time frame I was testing. I assume the results would be the same connecting to GPS with hardwire kit.

What I first did since I had V1.02 firmware installed was do 3 tests to verify parking mode working by connecting with dc power and laying on my desk, configured for Auto Event detection (easier for me to see since it causes the led to flash in parking mode) and with the lens taped over.

All 3 tests entered parking mode at 5 min with V1.02.
9:23-9:28
9:33-9:38
9:40 - 9:45

Then I flashed the V1.03 firmware.
Defaulted Settings
Formatted SD
Reconfigured all settings exactly as I had them with V1.02

The first test gave me hope when it did enter parking mode at 15 min (10:06-10:21. I thought well maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time when I was testing previously so started 2nd test. Second test at 27 min entered parking mode. (10:25-10:52), thought that to be odd so started test 3 and it entered parking mode in 12 min (11:13-11:25). The 4th and last test I did never entered parking mode, started it at 11:26 and stopped it at 12:27.

So for the 4 tests with V1.03
10:06-10:21 15 min
10:25-10:52 27 min
11:13-11:25 12 min
11:26-12:27 Stopped testing at 1 hour mark and still had not entered parking mode.

So in part it does enter parking mode with V1.03. I have no idea why there's so much inconsistency in the amount of time it takes to enter parking mode with V1.03 as the conditions, configuration and test were the same as what I did with V1.02. I've went back to V1.02 again and it's back to entering parking mode consistently in 5 min.

One other thing I noticed you may have some insight to that I don't as I don't know anything about video. But the 4th test that did not enter parking mode I noticed most all files for that hour long duration were 28mbps and a few at 29 mbps. Almost always I see 30mbps when I review the files. This was recording a covered lens so there was no color, motion or anything just black. When I noticed the bitrate difference I connected it to power again and let it record for a few min and without changing any configuration the files were back to 30mbps.
The V3 has a variable bitrate I believe, so the mbps will increase and decrease depending on the scene. The more complex the scene, the higher the bitrate.

I'm running more parking mode tests now. First test using a 5V USB power supply, the camera did not enter parking mode after 27 minutes. I changed a few settings and am testing again.

Capture Your Action

So I turned GPS on and the camera seems to enter parking mode between 5 and 6 minutes. I tried it 4 times this way. I tried 2 with GPS on and it entered within 6 minutes. I then turned GPS off and it did not enter after 10 minutes, so I shut it down and turned GPS back on. I tried 2 more times with GPS on and it entered parking mode within 6 minutes. This is while powering it via a 5V USB charger.
I will try the hardwire kit again tomorrow, but I don't expect to experience anything different than before. I tired multiple times yesterday with the hardwire kit and V1.03 and had no issues entering parking mode.

Valkyrie

So I turned GPS on and the camera seems to enter parking mode between 5 and 6 minutes. I tried it 4 times this way. I tried 2 with GPS on and it entered within 6 minutes. I then turned GPS off and it did not enter after 10 minutes, so I shut it down and turned GPS back on. I tried 2 more times with GPS on and it entered parking mode within 6 minutes. This is while powering it via a 5V USB charger.
I will try the hardwire kit again tomorrow, but I don't expect to experience anything different than before. I tired multiple times yesterday with the hardwire kit and V1.03 and had no issues entering parking mode.
That's interesting results. I assume GPS is on when it's hardwired and mounted into the vehicle but definitely not the results I was getting yesterday. Or perhaps GPS is off when acc is off and that's what lead to me having to turn ignition on and back off before it would enter parking mode IDK.

Seems like it's going to be a problem for those that didn't purchase the GPS option to get consistent parking mode to work with V1.03 if I'm understanding what your saying correctly.

I appreciate your testing but tbh I'm kinda tired of messing with it. I don't see any huge benefit to V1.03 at present so I'm just going to stick with V1.02, I have confidence it will enter parking mode reliably 5 min after I leave my car :)

Capture Your Action

When you update the firmware, GPS is off by default. I wanted to turn it on to see if it made a difference. Not sure why it did, since this form of parking mode should enable with or without GPS. Possible it is also just a coincidence, though each time it did enter parking mode within 6 minutes.

Valkyrie

When you update the firmware, GPS is off by default. I wanted to turn it on to see if it made a difference. Not sure why it did, since this form of parking mode should enable with or without GPS. Possible it is also just a coincidence, though each time it did enter parking mode within 6 minutes.
When you enabled GPS in firmware were you also connecting it to a GPS and powering by 5V USB or just 5V USB without the GPS module?

I believe I always enable it when I go through the settings just so I don't have to go back in the menu when I take it to the truck. But there could have been a time or two I didn't in absent mindedness. IDK

Viofo has commented on the Dashcam talk forum saying something about a bug fix in V1.03 I'm not quite clear on so posted the link to this thread and some test results there. Hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Capture Your Action

When you enabled GPS in firmware were you also connecting it to a GPS and powering by 5V USB or just 5V USB without the GPS module?

I believe I always enable it when I go through the settings just so I don't have to go back in the menu when I take it to the truck. But there could have been a time or two I didn't in absent mindedness. IDK

Viofo has commented on the Dashcam talk forum saying something about a bug fix in V1.03 I'm not quite clear on so posted the link to this thread and some test results there. Hopefully they can shed some light on this.
GPS was attached, but I was powering directly into the camera with a 5V USB power source.

I did see Viofo's post on DashCamTalk.

Valkyrie

GPS was attached, but I was powering directly into the camera with a 5V USB power source.

I did see Viofo's post on DashCamTalk.
I'm really tired of messing with this but curiosity is getting the better of me. :) I'll probably get it out of the truck tomorrow and put V1.03 back on it one last time and test it just to make certain of all my settings.

Valkyrie

Well I've been testing most the day and so far repeatability / consistency in entering Parking mode (with V1.03) is not in my results. I've done 20+ tests and it's ranged from 6 minutes to 43 minutes so far. I have 5 more test runs to do and then I'm done testing this firmware lol.

Valkyrie

So I did 3 different configurations at 8 tests per configuration today,

1st configuration was Default settings with GPS On and Auto Event Detection Parking mode.
2nd configuration was Default Settings with GPS Off and Auto Event Detection Parking mode
3rd configuration was my usual settings on how I typically configure it.

All tests were done after flashing V1.03, Then Defaulting settings and power cycling. The A119 V3 was power cycled between each test.
All tests were done with a USB Power source connected directly to A119 V3 without GPS Module (Only have one GPS and not going to sit in truck to test or remove it from it's adhesive). The Lens was taped over (to prevent motion detection) and placed on my work table next to my desk.
The tests were run in the order listed 1st through 3rd

Configuration 1 (GPS On) ranged from 6 min to 19 min, no repeatability or consistency.
Configuration 2 (GPS Off) ranged from 6 min to 43 min, no repeatability or consistency.
Configuration 3 (Custom) ranged from 11 min to 36 min, no repeatability or consistency.

I have no idea why there seems to be such a wide range in the time it takes to enter parking mode even with no changes between tests with the same configuration. At one point I thought maybe it was detecting audio (noise from AC), so I placed my phone beside it with a clock announcer broadcasting the time every minute but that had no affect. About the only thing I know after all this time is I'm unable to reproduce consistent results.

Attachments

Capture Your Action

So I did 3 different configurations at 8 tests per configuration today,

1st configuration was Default settings with GPS On and Auto Event Detection Parking mode.
2nd configuration was Default Settings with GPS Off and Auto Event Detection Parking mode
3rd configuration was my usual settings on how I typically configure it.

All tests were done after flashing V1.03, Then Defaulting settings and power cycling. The A119 V3 was power cycled between each test.
All tests were done with a USB Power source connected directly to A119 V3 without GPS Module (Only have one GPS and not going to sit in truck to test or remove it from it's adhesive). The Lens was taped over (to prevent motion detection) and placed on my work table next to my desk.
The tests were run in the order listed 1st through 3rd

Configuration 1 (GPS On) ranged from 6 min to 19 min, no repeatability or consistency.
Configuration 2 (GPS Off) ranged from 6 min to 43 min, no repeatability or consistency.
Configuration 3 (Custom) ranged from 11 min to 36 min, no repeatability or consistency.

I have no idea why there seems to be such a wide range in the time it takes to enter parking mode even with no changes between tests with the same configuration. At one point I thought maybe it was detecting audio (noise from AC), so I placed my phone beside it with a clock announcer broadcasting the time every minute but that had no affect. About the only thing I know after all this time is I'm unable to reproduce consistent results.
The Viofo firmware page for the A119V3 says V1.03(update 0924), was it listed this way before? Don't recall seeing the (update 0924) before. Maybe they changed/fixed something?

Valkyrie

The Viofo firmware page for the A119V3 says V1.03(update 0924), was it listed this way before? Don't recall seeing the (update 0924) before. Maybe they changed/fixed something?
Yes the web page has changed. Originally it had a Japanese link at the top of the page for the firmware. I just did a file compare on the binary FWA119V3.bin that I downloaded on 9/25 and one I downloaded today and it shows no difference. So they probably just reorganizing how they had it listed.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
There is a parking mode issue on V1.02 for no GPS version, that's the main difference.