A129 Duo stays in driving mode for long time whilst parked, also beeping whilst driving

LeeOliver

I have two issues, possibly related.

A129 Duo with v2.1 firmware on 3-wire hardwire kit.

First: the dash cam stays in driving mode for a long time after parking. For example today:-
  • Parked car and A129 stayed in driving mode constantly recording for 50 minutes, then it switched to parking mode.
  • stayed in parking mode recording constantly for 20 minutes
  • no recording for about an hour (this is expected during parking)
  • car still parked. A129 in driving mode and starts recording several short videos of about 22 seconds. It's a windy day and I can see the car rocking from wind. This is OK, but why is it driving mode?
Second: A few times recently I set off driving and the A129 is constantly beeping. I press menu button to silence it and fins when I get home that it has not recorded.

The A129 stays is in driving mode for long periods whilst parked. Why is this? Is it due to the settings or hardwire kit?

relevant settings:-
Parking mode: Auto event detection
Parking recording timer: 24 hours
Parking G-sensor: low
Parking motion detection: low
motion detection: off (setting this on disables parking mode)
G-sensor: low

Thanks

Capture Your Action

Check to make sure the fuse you tapped for the yellow wire actually turns off when car is shut off. Use a multi-meter and test at the actual fuse.

When you updated to V2.1, did you go into the menu and manually default the cameras settings? Do so if you did not. You should also then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.

I would use the program SDFormatter to format your memory card. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. After using SDFormatter, place in the camera and format again.

hatragyi

Similar behaviour on my A129 Duo.
On 1.9 fw the parking mode is switch immediately after turn off my car. In 2.0 and 2.1 fw the parking mode switch is delayed, but not 50 minutes, just 3-6 minutes, after turn off my car.
If I downgraded again to the 1.9 fw, parking mode switch immediately again.

I did: Format and tried anoter sd card, reset A129 from the menu and did hard reset, but not solved the problem.

In 2.0 and 2.1 not always, but often the button operations also works delayed. If I pressed a rec/menu button, then only respond after a few seconds later (4-6 sec).

The earlier 2.0 and 2.1 is a sh*t fw. Sorry but, it is outrageous.

I would like to stay in fw 1.9, but auto event detection parking mode always stopped after 1-2 hours. I have a HW3 kit with a Blackvue Ultra Magic battery, which is enough for up to 24 hours parking mode operations, but tha A129 stop record, after 1-2 hours, it operate, but not record.

Similar settings (1.9, 2.0, 2.1) as LeeOliver:
Parking mode: Auto event detection
Parking recording timer: 24 hours
Parking G-sensor: high
Parking motion detection: medium
Motion detection: off
G-sensor: low

LeeOliver

I've tested the wire kit and it is correct - red always on, yellow on only with ignition.

I've reset to default settings, and pressed the rest button to reset. Then I've set setting back to how I want them above. I think that updating the firmware had reset the settings to default anyway.

Full formatted the SD card.

I've put it back in the car and will see how it goes over next few days.

I think I know what's happening. The A129 is ignoring the 3-wire kit to decide parking/driving mode. It is using GPS instead. In the previous firmware, the camera would wake up on turning the ignition and go into drive mode. Since the update it does not do that. It starts recording in drive mode after I've moved bout 50 yards, then it stays in driving mode long after I've left the car. There's no point in having the 3-wire kit.

What are the correct settings to make it use the 3-wire kit to choose parking mode again?

hatragyi

My setup switch back to driving mode from parking mode immadiately, if I turn on ignition.
But if I turn off ignition, the parking mode delayed 3-4-5-6 minutes.
I trying attach a video.

I testing low bitrate parking mode, because the best auto event detection parking mode not work correctly, it stop recording a few hours (or if the sd card is full, and it can't record, as you said in another post).
Unfortunately in low bitrate parking mode not sliced the files (3 minutes), but also create one big file.
I am angry.

LeeOliver

I left it overnight and did a short journey this morning with the settings above.

It was raining last night. The A129 has recorded several hours of rain in parking mode at low bitrate (that's OK I can understand rain being detected as movement).

At 1AM it switched to driving mode and recorded 50 mins of rain at high bitrate. Why is is doing this (the ignition was not on, car was not moving and the GPS shows 0MPH)?

When I set off on a journey this morning it switched to driving mode and started recording after moving 50 yds. Why did switching the ignition on not trigger driving mode? When I parked it stayed in driving mode again for 20 minutes.

What does the setting "parking recording timer" do? It is not mentioned in the manual.

Capture Your Action

Parking mode time timer is how long you want the camera to record (while in parking mode) before automatically shutting down the camera.

LeeOliver

Thanks for explaining parking mode. I've set "parking recording timer" to on instead of a fixed time, which I assume means "always on".

After some more experimenting, the A129 stays in driving mode for what seems a random time of about 30-60 minutes after parking. I'm OK with this, it seems to be by design but not what I expected.

The 3-wire kit still has no effect in deciding driving/parking mode. The A129 is using GPS to determine if the car is moving. Often when I get in the car after a few hours, it is beeping (meaning not recording?) then starts recording after I've moved about 50yds.

I've now noticed that the movie folder has driving mode files going back only about 1.5 hours (from today's trip), but the parking folder has videos going back 3 days. Why is this? Are the parking mode files going to get deleted or will the card fill up with them, leaving less space for driving videos?

Capture Your Action

Do you have power plugged into camera or mount? If your plugged into the mount, try plugging directly into the camera. Older manufactured A129 cameras did not support the 3-wire kit when plugged into the mount, only direct to the camera. Newer one's can do either.

LeeOliver

The power has always been plugged directly into the camera because the GPS requires this.

Capture Your Action

May want to reinstall the firmware. Be sure to manually default the cameras settings after the update. You should then press and hold the hard reset button for about 5 seconds. Then give the card a fresh format. Don’t change anything but the date, time and parking mode.
If it still does not work for you, you may want to downgrade back to V1.9, since that one was apparently working for you with the 3-wire kit.

LeeOliver

I haven't driven much this week hence the delay in getting back.

More strange behaviour. After leaving the car for a few days, opened the door and the camera was beeping. I turned the ignition and the camera started properly, like it used to do. This is the first time it has done this in weeks. I thought it was fixed.

Drove 250 miles all OK, left it overnight. Next day the camera screen was showing a live image, but it was not recording (no recording light), even when driving. Buttons were unresponsive. The only way to restart it was to unplug it (screen faded slowly), then plug it back in.

I've reinstalled v2.1, and reset it. I'll see how it goes. I don't expect this to change anything.

Where can I download v1.9 firmware?

Capture Your Action

I haven't driven much this week hence the delay in getting back.

More strange behaviour. After leaving the car for a few days, opened the door and the camera was beeping. I turned the ignition and the camera started properly, like it used to do. This is the first time it has done this in weeks. I thought it was fixed.

Drove 250 miles all OK, left it overnight. Next day the camera screen was showing a live image, but it was not recording (no recording light), even when driving. Buttons were unresponsive. The only way to restart it was to unplug it (screen faded slowly), then plug it back in.

I've reinstalled v2.1, and reset it. I'll see how it goes. I don't expect this to change anything.

Where can I download v1.9 firmware?

LeeOliver

It's performing better with v1.9.

It's a lot quicker to switch between parking and driving modes and it hasn't frozen. It only takes about 3 minutes (the length of a video file), not 30-50 minutes as it did with v2.1.

It's good to know that it's possible to downgrade the firmware.

I'll try v2.2 when it comes out, but I'll skip v2.1.

sandugl

I recently purchased the Viofo A129 duo G (I upgraded it to firmware v. 2.1, because it had v1.9), powered by the hk3 kit.
Please clarify, why does the camera film continuously when the car is parked, even in the garage (at night, I don't have anything to move inside!) ?? What settings should I make so that it starts only when someone approaches / touches the car when the car is parked (engine stopped in the parking lot or garage)!
The settings used on the camera are:
1.resolution 1920x1080P 60 fps
2.bitrate: low (there is also the high option)
3. live video source: front camera (there is also rear camera, rear overlaid, frontoverlaid)
4.loop recording: 3 min (there is still off, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min)
5. wdr: on (does not exist off)
6.exposure: evfront (there is no evrear)
7. parking mode: auto event detection (there is still off, time laps 1fps, 2 fps, 3fps, 10 fps, low bitrate recording)
8 parking recording timer: 24 hours (12 hours left)
9. G-sensor parking: high sensitivity (there is no low, middle)
10. parking motion detection: medium (there are also low and high)
11. time-lapse recording: off (there are still 100 ms, 200 ms, 1 sec, 2, 5, 10, 30sec, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min)
12. motion detection: off (still exists on)
13. gps: off (still on)
14. speed unit: km / h (there is still mph)
15. G-sensor: low sensitivity (there is still off, middle, high)
16. wifib: off (there are still 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz)
17. date stamp: on (off)
18. gps info stamp: all info (never exists off, speed, coordinates)
19 camera model stamp: off (on)
20. audio record: on (off)
21. screen saver: 1 min (1 sec, 3 sec, 5 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec,> 3 min)
22. boot delay: off (5 sec, 10 sec)
23. date time
24. time zone: gmt + 3
25. language
26. beep sound
27. frequency: 50 hz
28 image rotation: off
29 rear camera mirror: off (on)
30. format
31 format warning
32. default settings
33 car number
34. custom text stamp
35. firmware version: A129. V2.1 Build 20200803
Can you tell me what's going on? I think I was pretty explicit.
I want to mention that I am mainly interested in the car being monitored when it is parked outside !! Regarding the auto event detection option (with this option activated) viofo registers even at night, when the car is inside the garage-so it has no movement to detect !!!.
So, what changes should I make in the settings so that the camera can record, when the car is parked outside, ONLY when it detects movement, shocks ...? Of course I want the car to register on the go.

LeeOliver

sandugl - It sounds like you have similar issues to me on v2.1.

I found the easiest solution was to downgrade to v1.9.

delz

Hi @LeeOliver I just wanted to ask how you safely downgraded from firmware v2.1 to v1.9? Is it the same exact process as upgrading the firmware?

I am also having problems where my a129 duo is not switching to parking mode once car is off. I wanted to try if downgrading to firmware v1.9 will help fix the problem.

Capture Your Action

Hi @LeeOliver I just wanted to ask how you safely downgraded from firmware v2.1 to v1.9? Is it the same exact process as upgrading the firmware?

I am also having problems where my a129 duo is not switching to parking mode once car is off. I wanted to try if downgrading to firmware v1.9 will help fix the problem.
Same process. Just be sure to manually default the settings in the menu after updating/downgrading. After defaulting the camera, press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.

LeeOliver

Yes, downgrading is the same process as upgrading. Copy the firmware you want to the SD card and restart.