A129 Pro Duo power usage measurements + suggestion

Harrellh

I used my multi-meter to measure current (amps) drawn by my newly installed A129 Pro Duo front and rear cameras, and wanted to share the results.

Note that it is likely that the A129 needs a certain amount of power for any specific situation and since power (watts) = voltage * current (amps), I would expect these current readings to vary slightly inversely as voltage rises or falls, and of course due to (hopefully small) natural measuring margin of error. The voltage at the A129 measured about 12.2 to 12.4 volts (which will vary with charge level, battery condition, other power consumption in the car, and whether you are using the hardware kit controller).

All measurements were with the Viofo hardwire kit (i.e. through the small controller that protects from over-draining the battery), and so the controller will add a few milliamps itself. All measurements in milliamps (ma).

550 ma Ignition ON (Start-up)
470 ma Front + Rear cameras ON and recording
350 ma Front camera ON and recording (Rear camera -not- connected)
275 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode LOW BIT RATE (Rear camera connected)
240 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode TIME LAPSE 10 secs (Rear camera connected)
240 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode TIME LAPSE 5 secs (Rear camera connected)
240 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode TIME LAPSE 3 secs (Rear camera connected)
240 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode TIME LAPSE 2 secs (Rear camera connected)
240 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode TIME LAPSE 1 secs (Rear camera connected)
275 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode EVENT (Rear camera connected)
40 ma Ignition OFF and Parking mode OFF

Suggestion: Given that all the parking modes seem to draw roughly the same current (i.e. power), I would think the best "parking mode" would be a new mode -- a hybrid of either Low-Bit-Rate or Time-Lapse combined with Event mode, with events being placed in the "locked" folder -- giving you the ability to find and view full "events" quickly and at full resolution, as well as additionally view a low-bit-rate or time-lapse version of the all the other parking time if needed. [This assumes that a "hybrid" mode would draw only marginally greater power than a single current "normal" mode.]

Reactions: Kim