Git2 microphone AGC - firmware feature request

Synergist

I use the Git2 as a dashcam, and I always listen to music in the car. The Git2 seems to apply aggressively AGC / compression to all sound recorded by the internal mic - and it does so incorrectly.

There is a menu option for the audio recording level -- however this only adjusts the level of audio after the AGC has been applied. The microphone does not cope well with high levels of low frequency sound (particularly low midrange and bass) and distorts with music

However, I think the mic on its own is quite capable - the AGC is actually adding distortion and worsening the sound overall, but this in my opinion should be fixable in software by correcting the firmware behaviour.

You can hear the AGC "pumping" harshly on rock music or electronic music with heavy basslines. I can provide samples on request...

There seems to be no way in the current firmware to disable any audio compression/AGC. I've tried adjusting my audio level to "low", but this just records the compressed and distorted audio at a lower level in the audio track, which is not desirable.

I would much rather have the option to defeat / disable any AGC or compression on the internal mic, and perhaps even manually adjust the microphone preamp level completely, then process suitably on my computer afterwards.

tryagain

Administrator
Website
www.facebook.com
I use the Git2 as a dashcam, and I always listen to music in the car. The Git2 seems to apply aggressively AGC / compression to all sound recorded by the internal mic - and it does so incorrectly.

There is a menu option for the audio recording level -- however this only adjusts the level of audio after the AGC has been applied. The microphone does not cope well with high levels of low frequency sound (particularly low midrange and bass) and distorts with music

However, I think the mic on its own is quite capable - the AGC is actually adding distortion and worsening the sound overall, but this in my opinion should be fixable in software by correcting the firmware behaviour.

You can hear the AGC "pumping" harshly on rock music or electronic music with heavy basslines. I can provide samples on request...

There seems to be no way in the current firmware to disable any audio compression/AGC. I've tried adjusting my audio level to "low", but this just records the compressed and distorted audio at a lower level in the audio track, which is not desirable.

I would much rather have the option to defeat / disable any AGC or compression on the internal mic, and perhaps even manually adjust the microphone preamp level completely, then process suitably on my computer afterwards.
Hi, Synergist. Please try to update the firmware to the latest version GIT2_V1.6.1_20170104 http://www.gitup.com/content/8-how-to-upgrade-the-firmware-for-gitup-git2-and-git2p . And to see if it get solved. Please give feedback after update.

Synergist

Hi, Synergist. Please try to update the firmware to the latest version GIT2_V1.6.1_20170104 http://www.gitup.com/content/8-how-to-upgrade-the-firmware-for-gitup-git2-and-git2p . And to see if it get solved. Please give feedback after update.
Hello, I'm using the latest version of FW and the problem is still there. I can send audio samples if you want.

I wish there was a way to set the preamp gain of the mic, not just alter the post-gain level of the audio (which is what the current mic level setting does).

Also, since the FW update, audio clips from the Git2 now say "DEMO1" in their comments metadata. Before, they said "GIT2". Is there a way to modify this on the camera?