High noise and washed clarity on front camera, many dead pixels on rear camera

neutrinoP

New A129 Pro Duo GPS camera, firmware V1.1.
The camera works nicely, but compared to the DOD LS470W I had, the night sensitivity is quite low, and is generating a lot of noise on the front camera.
I tested it in all modes. Now I'm running the 1080/60+1080 setting, and preferably both camera exposure values set to +0.3Ev. Still, the noise level on the front and the clarity of the image is not as desired for the Sony sensor. The back camera has very good colours and contrast, very nice definition, but in dark a lot of dead pixels are visible.
As for WDR, that should be always on by default, and an ISO control with ISO stamp would be lovely instead. (Yeah, I know, I got used to this from the DOD:p)

A side note: my camera also had occasional beeping because using the Samsung Micro-SDXC EVO Plus 128GB card, but once I was turning the AC on and cooled the windscreen a little, the beeping would not occur (it was a heatwave and constant in sunlight)

If is possible, in the next firmware update would be glorious to fix the high noise on the front, enhance its contrast, and rise the low light sensitivity.
Overall I'm pleased though. Thanks!

neutrinoP

Back after updating the firmware to V2, there are some issues.
Occasionally some random characters appearing at the bottom of the video, staying a minute or two and vanishing.
Then the resolution selection becomes unstable, despite selecting 1080p/60FPS, it returns to 4K by itself.
Another issue I find is the difficulty to restart recording when disabling the WiFi, the camera keeps beeping 20-30 seconds, then it finally starts recording automatically.
Will wait for bug fixes to appear soon.
P.S.: Oh yes, the noise of the front camera is still high. and the WDR function brightens everything up in the presence of a light source (that's not how WDR should work)

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback for the V2, we will check it soon.

neutrinoP

One more issue just found: After I drove about an hour with the camera working as usual, I activated the WiFi to check the resolution on the Viofo app. Big surprise to see no settings for resolution appearing at that time, and neither a later attempt. It would appear only on the camera's menu, not in the app. o_O
But today the random characters weren't appearing, and the resolutions stayed as I set them, 1080p60 front and 1080p30 (normal) back.
Very interesting.

Capture Your Action

One more issue just found: After I drove about an hour with the camera working as usual, I activated the WiFi to check the resolution on the Viofo app. Big surprise to see no settings for resolution appearing at that time, and neither a later attempt. It would appear only on the camera's menu, not in the app. o_O
But today the random characters weren't appearing, and the resolutions stayed as I set them, 1080p60 front and 1080p30 (normal) back.
Very interesting.
I always recommend adjusting setting on the camera itself and not the app. The app isn’t always up to date with the camera.

neutrinoP

Discovered how to create the resolution reset issue:

Camera in recording normally mode, pressing [menu] to turn it off, and then press it again to turn it back on, the camera reboots with 4K resolution for the front. I set the resolution back to my preferred 1080p60, left it to record a little, and performed the same operation by turning it off and back on. Same: once it restarts, the resolution is back to 4K. : )))))))

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Discovered how to create the resolution reset issue:

Camera in recording normally mode, pressing [menu] to turn it off, and then press it again to turn it back on, the camera reboots with 4K resolution for the front. I set the resolution back to my preferred 1080p60, left it to record a little, and performed the same operation by turning it off and back on. Same: once it restarts, the resolution is back to 4K. : )))))))
Will be fixed soon in next version, as we are also checking some other bugs, will take some time to release next version.

neutrinoP

Many thanks!
Meanwhile I have returned to the 1.1 firmware version (the original which came camera with)
It's good to have the possibility to return to previous!
Looking forward to the improved new firmware, the hardware in these cameras are top, they can perform so much better!
Thank you once again. m(__)m

neutrinoP

As promised, details about v2.1 firmware and behaviour:
First of all, a good bug fix: no more returning to the default 4K resolution upon restarting the camera.
But then, the other issues I found in v2.0 are still present.
  1. After disabling WiFi, the restarting of recording takes several beeps (3-4 seconds) then it finally starts recording.
  2. WDR is still "flashy" and "jumpy", as I said, is not how Wide Dynamic Range should behave. My suggestion is to permanently enable WDR, and make the Automated ISO adjustment according to the amount of light. Currently the flashing and increasing of ISO in the presence of a light source is in total reverse as how it should actually behave :p It would be so much better that in low light to have the high ISO (12800 or if is possible 25600), then to adjust it automatically in relation with the amount of light received by sensor, as I suspect the minimum ISO 100 is daytime under sunshine (might be ISO 50 in fact?)
  3. WDR also creates some strange artefacts on the image on the grey scale, on both front and back, more visible on the front because the back camera has such a wonderful colour and dynamic, that's why the front looks really washed out. (is the same even if the front is not "against the sun")
  4. Indeed, the phone app doesn't manages to keep the pace with the firmware, entering the settings will not display the resolution setting options. I set my favourite 1080p60FPS for the front from the camera instead.
Overall this firmware will stay longer on the camera, since there's no resolution resetting issue, and neither the random characters to appear in the stamp region.
As the time will go, and if I find any other issues, I will come back and make my usual report, HOPE IT HELPS!

P.S.: The current temperature here is 38°C (about 43°C in car, and because I activated the AC and directed it partly on the windscreen, the camera did not had any hiccups even if it has become really hot. Love this!

neutrinoP

Hello again, coming with impressions about night time view.
The front camera needs a really high level of light to detect something, even to activate the currently WDR setup which is boosting the ISO few steps. This leads to an image mostly unclear in very low light condition. But here is the surprise: there was full moon, mostly clear skies. Compared to the front camera, the rear one, once impressed by the moonlight, is seeing everything nearly as daylight! I wish that for the front camera, although I understand the aperture difference is also a major factor.
Here are few examples, both front and rear, the time stamp gives a clue about which are the paired images.
Obviously, the high noise I've mentioned is still there. Why on the reviews I can't see such noise? What's different in my cameras from the ones in reviews?
My settings: Front 1080p60FPS +0.6 exposure, Back 1080p30FPS +0.6 exposure. (but the noise factor and sensitivity doesn't changes with resolution, obviously)
Wish I could get the clear clean images I've seen in all review video examples. Also... I wish for much higher sensitivity in low light (like LS470W had)
Please help.
P.S. Yes, the last two images are in the same moonlight condition, but the front camera goes totally dark despite being quite bright lighting from the moon.

neutrinoP

Coming back with a wish: I wish I would know how to open the firmware file, understand it, and make a custom firmware based on the latest stable for testing purposes, especially at the ISO and WDR sections of the processing. How? Is it possible?

benkar

Coming back with a wish: I wish I would know how to open the firmware file, understand it, and make a custom firmware based on the latest stable for testing purposes, especially at the ISO and WDR sections of the processing. How? Is it possible?
I don't know how to open the firmware. Perhaps I can only link to sites with modified firmware:
https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/

neutrinoP

Yes, I've seen that site, but sadly there is nothing for the A129 Pro Duo.
That's why I wish I could learn how to open, read, and edit/adjust the functions I desire, and then, after testing, to present them to the VIOFO staff.
I feel like I want to help, while helping myself too.
Thank you m(__)m

neutrinoP

Back after I had a pressure regulation surgery in my brain after chemo for my inoperable brain tumor, and I've learned about the new v2.1 firmware. I installed it, but did not had the chance yet to test it.
Also I have learned about the A119 V3s, watched the videos with the new true WDR, and... I wish that such thing is possible to my A129Pro Duo. I've seen how A119 V3 has such a low noise, great night time image, very good processing. I repeat: we definitely need such thing in A129Pro Duo ;)
I will try to go out tonight and see how this new version firmware behaves, and will return with impressions.

neutrinoP

Hello again.
Although I'm still waiting for high sensitivity in low light and true WDR, I discovered a "user generated bug"
Besides that the v2.1 latest firmware has issues to display all functions on the mobile app, such as resolution settings and exposure settings, there can be also generated a "random file name order" in the files recorded doing the following:
My usual setting is to follow the UTC time on the camera, without DST (personally I displease DST, but the phone sets the time with DST). Since the GPS time is UTC synchronised, when I'm accessing the camera via WiFi on the phone, the next pair of the videos will have the time re-synchronised, causing that to place those clips somewhere lost in the list when listing all the videos either on phone or PC :p. This happens only if the camera's time is ignoring the DST, and after stopping the WiFi, the file name order returns to normal, since the camera restores the UTC time. (hopefully this will clarify a little the issues some users are having with "random file names order".
Meanwhile... please VIOFO, hurry up and give us that high ISO and True WDR, I have plenty of bad drivers to make famous, especially during night time :))))))))

neutrinoP

Sorry that I'm "spamming" this, but still isn't there a new firmware for our cameras? I'm eager to push the limits of this device a little further, because I know how capable the hardware in it is.
Meanwhile I'm giving up on 1080p60fps for the front and going 4K, and will set the bitrate to maximum, I hope that the 128G Samsung Evo card will support it. Need clearer image, especially during winter time, and I can't wait to get out of the political-flu-lockdown so I can go wandering a little.

hochiinn

if your card is not endurance, samsung will not warranty it for dashcam use. amazon and bestbuy had the endurance cards on sale about a week ago, dunno if they still are

neutrinoP

This Evo card works fine at full bitrate and 4K+1080, no issues so far.
But the front camera though... I was hoping for so much better performance especially in low light conditions for a PRO version. That's why I do hope there will be a new firmware soon, to remove the very high noise and to add the true WDR capability. Definitely not pleased with what happens currently, it's like there was used a 1.3MPix sensor and over scaled to obtain the 4K resolution with strong sharpening.

Attachments

hochiinn

well, i am old and dumb, especially with all this tech stuff. but i DO know that a while ago, i had rexing cameras, and i must have warranted at least 6 of them for all kinds of reasons. they would freeze up, reboot like crazy, all kinds of stuff. rexing had outstanding customer service, they would send me a new one, and call tag the bad one. then i read somewhere that regular sd cards dont work well, so i switched to high endurance, and all my problems went away. i only switched to viofo because of the 8mp chip, and, most important, the polarizing filter