Parking mode question

CrabbyFlabby

Is the space allotted for parking mode on A129 pro duo different from the rest of the storage. Or rather is the way parking mode uses storage different from regular recording?

I have a 128GB endurance card from Samsung. I have parking mode set to event detection.
I park on the street so there is always stuff going on so it should constantly be writing.
I left my car at 10:30AM, I came back at 5:00PM. Parking mode folder only shows videos starting 2:58PM. The rest of the card is filled with regular driving video footage going back 3 days. This has happened several days in a row.

Running the 2.4 firmware build 20210521

SuperCurro

I have made a lot of experiments with parking mode, the sensitivity of the motion depends a lot on the light scenario. If you have set the motion in low could be that during the morning almost no content in the street (I don't think so) and then during the afternoon full of content.

Remember that all the content record with parking event is protected, so will not be overwritten with the normal drive content. But there is a thread about the problem of deleted blocked files,

Nowadays is not clear to anyone how a129Pro lock the files, because is clear that use to delete a lot of lock files, it is not reliable. I have just decided to set in timelapse 3fps because then all the content will be unlocked and then just deleted when the card is full. I avoid two problems: the random delete of locked files (just lock when G sensor is activated) and also the card full of locked files.

The low bit rate is just 30 Mbps, so half of the normal H264 60Mbps, that is a lot, your card will be full in just 4 hours. In my opinion, your card was just full and regular 3 days back video should be protected or I really don't understand how VIOFO gives the priority to delete content when parking mode is active. Perhaps only delete the content in the parking folder to make space in the SD card and never touch the driver folder, but I don't think so because the cards are always full of content.

VIOFO we would really like to understand how is the logic of locked files and the priority to delete content because all indicate that something is wrong in the implementation and this is critical because we are losing the content and it is a pity with such a good camera that because a small bug in the firmware we lose the content and make it useless.

CrabbyFlabby

SO the street i am parked on there is activity all the time. There is no way that nothing happened between 10:30AM and 3:00PM, it's just not possible, it's a busy street. There were no locked event files on the card. All the parking files took approximately 5GB of space. The rest was taken up by regular driving video. I'm super confused

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
There were no locked event files on the card.
Hello,

That's normal. Only the clips triggered by the G-sensor could be locked. The clips detected by the motion detection would be saved with the name: Year_Date_-Time_PF for the front camera and Year_Date_Time_PR for the rear camera in the Movie file.

Last edited:

SuperCurro

Hello,

That's normal. Only the clips triggered by the G-sensor could be locked. The clips detected by the motion detection would be saved with the name: Year_Date_-Time_PF for the front camera and Year_Date_Time_PR for the rear camera in the Movie file.
So in theory the parking movement will overwrite the normal driving content and the G sensor will lock the files and store them in a specific folder?

That doesn't explain why in this case between 10:30AM and 2:58PM nothing is recorded. The only possible justification is the battery voltage was low and the camera stopped. But this doesn't make sense. My theory is that the sensitivity was in Low and the light was not shining.

If the movement doesn't block the files it is the most interesting mode.I will test it, I thought that the movement also block the files, great news.

raab

Hello,

So why is it that motion detected events are set to read only, effectively "locked"?

In my testing the G-sensor files didn't get locked either, but I switched to low bitrate recording as I can't be bothered beta testing Viofo's firmwares

SuperCurro

Hello, with time-lapse no problem, but with event detection is not reliable. Some times I have black hours without any recorded and that is impossible.

Normally detects the cars movement without problem... but then 6 hours with nothing and all parked cars has changed. And again 4 hour an only when a really big garbage truck arrives then start recording

So I confirm your bug.

Last edited:

CrabbyFlabby

Exactly the same issue. The street that i'm on is busy, there was no light blockage, realistically it should have been running almost continuously, but it looks like ALL the times the recording had huge gaps and the folder size would always be approx 5GB. I switched to time lapse for now and it seems to be working correctly. But I was really looking forward to using it in event detection mode

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello, with time-lapse no problem, but with event detection is not reliable. Some times I have black hours without any recorded and that is impossible.

View attachment 1121

View attachment 1120View attachment 1119View attachment 1118

Normally detects the cars movement without problem... but then 6 hours with nothing and all parked cars has changed. And again 4 hour an only when a really big garbage truck arrives then start recording

So I confirm your bug.
What card do you use? I suppose the dashcam crashed during that time.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Exactly the same issue. The street that I'm on is busy, there was no light blockage, realistically it should have been running almost continuously, but it looks like ALL the times the recording had huge gaps and the folder size would always be approx 5GB. I switched to time lapse for now and it seems to be working correctly. But I was really looking forward to using it in event detection mode
Do you use a Samsung 128GB high endurance card? Did you format it before using it? If you didn't, please try formatting the card as the following instruction:

1. Download the guiformat2 from the link: https://support.viofo.com/a/solutions/articles/19000046583

2. Use the original USB cable or a card reader to connect the camera with the computer, you can see the file name DCIM, then save the important files first.

3. Open the guiformat2 and choose start

Ps: Please don't select the quick format when you use the guiformat2.

SuperCurro

What card do you use? I suppose the dashcam crashed during that time.
I use a 256GB SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE

It is a new SD card... so don't need to reformat it just format it in the camera.

I have had also during 2 days the camera inside the home (26-28 ºC) testing and once the camera was freeze: red light blinking but no reaction for the movements or the shake, so no G sensor and no recording... The interesting part is that if you left the camera freeze during 3-6 hours finally starts to work again.

So it is clear a stability problem and it happens regardless of the temperature. It is a pity because the event detection is the best by far for parking mode, but nowadays the only "parking mode" that works well is timelapse that deletes all your previous content (except protected one) and doesn't have high framerate or sound.

CrabbyFlabby

Do you use a Samsung 128GB high endurance card? Did you format it before using it? If you didn't, please try formatting the card as the following instruction:

1. Download the guiformat2 from the link: https://support.viofo.com/a/solutions/articles/19000046583

2. Use the original USB cable or a card reader to connect the camera with the computer, you can see the file name DCIM, then save the important files first.

3. Open the guiformat2 and choose start

Ps: Please don't select the quick format when you use the guiformat2.
Hi thank you for your response.
I do use a Samsung 128GB Endurance card as originally mentioned in my first post.
I did format the card in camera when I first inserted it into the camera I was prompted to format it.

Is there a specific reason why it would need to be formatted on a PC vs in camera and using the GUI format tool vs the built in GUI format in windows?
I don't mind trying, but I would like to know if there is something specific to the card I am using that we are trouble shooting

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I do use a Samsung 128GB Endurance card as originally mentioned in my first post.
I did format the card in camera when I first inserted it into the camera I was prompted to format it.

Is there a specific reason why it would need to be formatted on a PC vs in camera and using the GUI format tool vs the built in GUI format in windows?
I don't mind trying, but I would like to know if there is something specific to the card I am using that we are trouble shooting
Use the Guiformat2 app on the PC can format the card deeply. So we recommend using it to completely eliminate the probable issue caused by the card.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
I use a 256GB SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE

It is a new SD card... so don't need to reformat it just format it in the camera.

I have had also during 2 days the camera inside the home (26-28 ºC) testing and once the camera was freeze: red light blinking but no reaction for the movements or the shake, so no G sensor and no recording... The interesting part is that if you left the camera freeze during 3-6 hours finally starts to work again.

So it is clear a stability problem and it happens regardless of the temperature. It is a pity because the event detection is the best by far for parking mode, but nowadays the only "parking mode" that works well is timelapse that deletes all your previous content (except protected one) and doesn't have high framerate or sound.
Hi Sir!

How did you power the camera? Did you use a stable power such as a power bank or home socket? Did you power it through the USB port or GPS mount? Did you only test the front camera with the rear camera disconnected?

Did you try low-bitrate recording in parking mode? If it works well in low bitrate recording, the function of auto event detection may have a problem. Please let me know the result.

SuperCurro

Hi Sir!

How did you power the camera? Did you use a stable power such as a power bank or home socket? Did you power it through the USB port or GPS mount? Did you only test the front camera with the rear camera disconnected?

Did you try low-bitrate recording in parking mode? If it works well in low bitrate recording, the function of auto event detection may have a problem. Please let me know the result.
I have a 12.4V powerbank. The connection is through the USB port (not the GPS). I always test it with the rear camera, it doesn't make sense to test the DUO with only the front camera.
I try low-Bitrate (30Mbps) recording in parking and timelapse, they are stable but I don't like at all to overwrite all my footage so the best by far parking mode is the event detection and is the one I would like to have stable.

during these days I have been tested it but insides just detecting some home activity, and for some events per day it works well. When you have this under the sun in the street, it is not stable. With many events and hot (even during the night) it doesn't work well, sometimes the sensitivity is not high anymore and others just freeze (no Gsensor and no move detection), but then after a few hours starts to work again.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hi sir,

Please try three more times as the following suggestions:

1. Try to reload the firmware and reset the dashcam to the default settings. When you reset the dashcam, please first reset it in the setting menu, and then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds. After doing this, please test again.

2. Try to unplug the rear cable to test and see if it still freezes. If it works well with the rear camera disconnected, the freeze problem may be caused by the rear camera. We can send you a replacement for the rear cam.

3. Set the resolution to 2K to test if it works well. If it does, we'll provide a replacement or other solution.

SuperCurro

Hi sir,

Please try three more times as the following suggestions:

1. Try to reload the firmware and reset the dashcam to the default settings. When you reset the dashcam, please first reset it in the setting menu, and then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds. After doing this, please test again.

2. Try to unplug the rear cable to test and see if it still freezes. If it works well with the rear camera disconnected, the freeze problem may be caused by the rear camera. We can send you a replacement for the rear cam.

3. Set the resolution to 2K to test if it works well. If it does, we'll provide a replacement or other solution.
  1. I already test with several firmwares, and every time you reload a firmware the camera resets to default.
  2. The rear camera seems to be ok. During my 5 day test interior no problem with rear camera. This only happends with intensive activity no with light activity. It just takes 2-3 seconds to recognize that something has change and start "recording".
  3. Set the resolution to 2k doesnt make sense, the camera in parking mode is in 2k.
This is just an stability issue when the camera has many events happening at the same time. It happends during day and night so it is not a temperature problem (even here the nights are hot). Also the camera is sometimes much less sensisitive to the movement. Only during busy activity in the street then the camera freezes. In my opinion this is cause just because when is saving something happends, too long to write or not able to buffer while writing or something the freeze the processor.
As we dont know how is the logic we can not recreate a scenario that may cause the problem, even worse is to find out how to force it. It is just an stability problem and my time worth much more than the value of the camera so I am not going to spends weeks doing experiments without realiable information about how works the program. Just could be that the camera autoadjust the sensitivity and then this is normal.
For example if you have activity for more than 30 seconds it doesnt record everything.... I think this is related to the fact that if you have movement during more than 30 seconds, while is writing in the SD card it freezes, but not easy to reproduce because not always happens and we dont have an easy way to try it 100 times.

In any case this is just a bug that is not critical for the use of the camera, other the problems like the lost the lock files are critical but in may be case this is not happening and I am quite happy with the camera.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator

Hello,

May I know if the problem is solved by formatting the SD card?

SuperCurro

I am testing parking mode autodetection in the car under sun.... Never stay stable more than few hours, always freeze. I have to disconnect the power every time the sun hits the car. Now I am in Spain with 34 degrees under the shadow.
I will try without the rear camera and time lapse.

PD: tested with time lapse 2 fps and no problem, even with such a high temperature that was impossible to touch the camera or the SD card. No problem at all except that the camera is full of content with nothing interesting. All this with the rear camera connected.

Last edited:

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Thanks for your reply. We'll discuss this issue. Please let me know the result of the later tests.