Piece of junk

Mikescotland

Unfortunately I have to join other people and put negative reviews on social media everywhere I can. Plus amazon etc. Unfortunately, this camera is a piece of junk.
Viofo is not a company to be trusted, half baked firmware v2, then pulling it from the website and not even bothering to place v1.9 online so people can downgrade.
The main and basic thing. This products is UNRELIABLE.
A 64GB card is filled after ca. 6 hrs of footage and then guess what. The camera randomly doesn't start, lags, pressing emergency button triggers response half a minute later.
Viofo. If you listen. I don't have time and will to remember to format the card EVERYDAY, a proper dashcam is installed and forgotten. Until I need the footage.
With Viofo I have to constantly remember to format the card, otherwise camera randomly doesn't turn on and I might need just this footage that unfortunately, hasn't been recorded.
Do something with it. Or I guess you don't give a flying...

Capture Your Action

Try V1.5 if you want. Some users have been sticking with it since it works for them. There is no Auto Detection Mode in V1.5 though.

Mikescotland

Try V1.5 if you want. Some users have been sticking with it since it works for them. There is no Auto Detection Mode in V1.5 though.

So you're telling me, "you bought a month ago a dashcam with advertised auto motion detection, advanced parking mode etc. Downgrade the firmware to get rid of these functions, otherwise the dashcam doesn't really work".
Are you for real?
I bought something. You made a list of what camera does.
Provide it. If you can't, give money back as you lied to get the sale.

Capture Your Action

So you're telling me, "you bought a month ago a dashcam with advertised auto motion detection, advanced parking mode etc. Downgrade the firmware to get rid of these functions, otherwise the dashcam doesn't really work".
Are you for real?
I bought something. You made a list of what camera does.
Provide it. If you can't, give money back as you lied to get the sale.
Sorry? Your original post indicated you were looking for V1.9, so I provided it. I then provided you some other options. I’m not Viofo, I’m simply trying to help you. My mistake.

Mikescotland

Sorry? Your original post indicated you were looking for V1.9, so I provided it. I then provided you some other options. I’m not Viofo, I’m simply trying to help you. My mistake.
I do apologise. I was under impression you were from viofo. I am really sorry. Thank you very much for the link.
(I hope viofo reads the forum anyway).

Paul's Dashcam

Website
www.pauliddon.co.uk
Bewilders me why people have to slag off Viofo cos of an issue, when out there, the other 99% (that's a guess of course, it could be 98% or 97% or whatever) and other brands of camera besides Viofo's, or indeed other hardware products.

I bought a TV once that was not very good, but I didn't lambast LG (the makers). I also had a a Canon printer that was jamming on A3 pages so I couldn't use it for large prints, but I didn't go onto Amazon where that was from, and bad mouth the company.

Imagine if we all slagged of Asda cos their bananas went ripe to quickly....

It's not just you Mike - I'm not badding you personally, just the whole ideology behind why people have to deliberately want to bad mouth something because it didn't work for them.

I don't work for any dashcam company either btw ;)

Mikescotland

Bewilders me why people have to slag off Viofo cos of an issue, when out there, the other 99% (that's a guess of course, it could be 98% or 97% or whatever) and other brands of camera besides Viofo's, or indeed other hardware products.

I bought a TV once that was not very good, but I didn't lambast LG (the makers). I also had a a Canon printer that was jamming on A3 pages so I couldn't use it for large prints, but I didn't go onto Amazon where that was from, and bad mouth the company.

Imagine if we all slagged of Asda cos their bananas went ripe to quickly....

It's not just you Mike - I'm not badding you personally, just the whole ideology behind why people have to deliberately want to bad mouth something because it didn't work for them.

I don't work for any dashcam company either btw ;)
Paul
I noticed we live in times when social media and reviews seem to make any impact on manufacturer.
I don't like to post bad words but this is something different. This camera was falsely advertised as having x, y, z which it doesn't. There would be a difference between "being not so good" and "not fit for purpose".
You tv allowed you to watch the programmes, printer printed at least on a4 and bananas were still edible (asda actually have good ones ).
Now let's say
  1. Lg said your TV is a smart TV. You bought it and.. It doesn't even connect to the Internet and randomly switches off.
  2. Canon said it will also scan but you noticed it doesn't have a scanner and you bought it just for it.
And Asda promised you that your bananas will be again "not so ripen" with the next software update but you're waiting for it almost 2 years and day by day your bananas are worse and worse.

We can debate regarding reviews, shouting at manufactures but one thing is for sure. People buy things nowadays based on good reviews.
This product can't have a good review from me and I like an idea someone spent £160 on a good product instead.

Paul's Dashcam

Website
www.pauliddon.co.uk
All good Mike - it wasn't "you" like I said, just a generalisation.

My Viofo dashcams, all 4 of them, and my nextbase dashcams, both of them, all work. Maybe I'm just lucky to score 6 out of 6 lol... :)

Mikescotland

Latest version is uploaded.
Also you can download from below link:

For the recording issue, if the camera still has issues after upgrade with new firmware:
  1. Please tell us what kind of memory card you use.
  2. Only use default settings for testing.
  1. I'm using and testing using two cards. One is Samsung Evo plus 64gb and second is sandisk a2 128gb.
  2. What's the firmware version? Do I need to flash also a new bootloader (if so where I can find it?)
Testing under default mode won't show any faults with parking mode / switching back to driving mode etc.

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

1. I'm using and testing using two cards. One is Samsung Evo 64gb and second is sandisk a2 128gb.
  2. What's the firmware version? Do I need to flash also a new bootloader (if so where I can find it?)
Testing under default mode won't show any faults with parking mode / switching back to driving mode etc.
It's V2.1. You do not need a new bootloader.

Mikescotland

Latest version is uploaded.
Also you can download from below link:

For the recording issue, if the camera still has issues after upgrade with new firmware:
  1. Please tell us what kind of memory card you use.
  2. Only use default settings for testing.
  1. On default settings seem to be OK, I have a full card and it managed to free up 2GB for recordings.
  2. Outside default settings - Parking mode doesn't work when card is full, enters double beep when switching on the low bitrate parking mode. Forcing recording manually by pressing the button starts recording. Event detected parking mode doesn't work at all, second time entering the parking mode, double beep
  3. Speed is resetting to kmh from mph
  4. After one day of use I cannot switch off the WiFi using the button.
  5. Switching to driving mode from parking seems to be OK even if the card is full.
I'm actually really angry as invested in full set, including hardwire kit, lens and Bluetooth button. So additional £60 down the drain.
Perhaps a legal action should be considered.

Last edited:

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Did you enable the WiFi always even in parking mode?
We didn't recommend to keep WIFi on all the time.

Mikescotland

Ok. With WiFi off seems to be working.
  1. Low bitrate parking ok, two days recorder all night (nice surprise)
  2. Driving mode in low bitrate (will test high bitrate).
  3. Auto event parking doesn't work at all (one or two events recorded then camera stops working)

bneves

Hi, just a curiosity, what kind of issues could the "wifi" always on bring to the viofo A129 duo dashcam?

Capture Your Action

Hi, just a curiosity, what kind of issues could the "wifi" always on bring to the viofo A129 duo dashcam?
On the A129 DUO, the bitrate is cut in half when WiFi is on. WiFi will also generate unnecessary heat and consume power power resources.

bneves

Good to know, I will take that into account. Thank you for the feedback.