[SOLVED]: iOS app does not connect to camera (A129 Plus Duo)

tilt

It keeps looping and always comes back to "Connect to camera" after going through the all the steps to connect.

I spoke to the local rep in my country and they say everything should work fine.

So, I have never been able to use the app at all on my iPhone to do anything - change settings or view footage or anything.

App has been updated to the latest version (2.3 I believe).

Phone is the iPhone XR.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thank you and cheers

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
Hello,

Could you please shoot a video to show the whole connecting process?

You can share the video with us by uploading it to WeTransfer.

Many thanks!

tilt

Hello,

Could you please shoot a video to show the whole connecting process?

You can share the video with us by uploading it to WeTransfer.

Many thanks!
OK, I went downstairs to shoot the video, and discovered I had a new problem, which first has to be resolved before I can shoot the original video.

Here's a video of the new problem:

Thank you and cheers

Capture Your Action

Thank you, I shall try that. Now, in case that does work, wouldn't it mean that when I am driving my cellphone will not work - no calls, no navigation etc.?

Cheers
You should only be connected to the camera while your not driving anyway, so correct, your phone won't make or receive calls while connected to the camera (if cell data needs to be off, which depends on the phone).

VIOFO-Support

Administrator
OK, I went downstairs to shoot the video, and discovered I had a new problem, which first has to be resolved before I can shoot the original video.

Here's a video of the new problem:

Thank you and cheers
We have firmware that can fix this problem. Please tell me the serial number of your dashcam. You can find it on the camera's back when sliding it out of the GPS mount. Then I can give you the correct firmware.

tilt

We have firmware that can fix this problem. Please tell me the serial number of your dashcam. You can find it on the camera's back when sliding it out of the GPS mount. Then I can give you the correct firmware.
Thank you, the serial number is A129PLUS21290732. In the meanwhile, the firmware I currently have is VIOFOA129DuoPlusFWv1.0(20200925) from https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-plus-duo/. This firmware is v1.0, build 20200925.

I went to viofo.com for this camera and saw that there has been an update to v1.5 some time in October. Is this the one you were referring to when you mentioned the fix to this problem?

Also, when I update the firmware to this version, will the rear camera also get the updated firmware or will I have to do something more for that? The Viofo firmware update page does not provide this information - it only talks about updating the front camera.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

tilt

You should only be connected to the camera while your not driving anyway, so correct, your phone won't make or receive calls while connected to the camera (if cell data needs to be off, which depends on the phone).
Thank you.

tilt

Please try to update the attached firmware. Here is the updating instruction.

Note: There are two bin files in the zip. Please copy both files into the SD card when updating.
Thank you. I folllowed the instructions and updated the firmware by copying the two extracted bin files onto the root folder of the camera.

Once the camera restarted, one of the bin files disappeared from the root folder, but one (FWA129SN.bin) is still present in the camera's root folder.

Did I do something incorrectly?

Should I have also connected the rear camera to the front while doing the firmware update? The rear camera is stuck onto the car's windshield and cannot be easily removed, so if I need to connect and update, how would I go about doing it?

Question 2: Now that I have updated the firmware and hopefully have removed the wifi bug, I still need a solution to my original question of the iPhone app not connecting to the camera.

Thank you and cheers

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Thank you. I folllowed the instructions and updated the firmware by copying the two extracted bin files onto the root folder of the camera.

Once the camera restarted, one of the bin files disappeared from the root folder, but one (FWA129SN.bin) is still present in the camera's root folder.

Should I have also connected the rear camera to the front while doing the firmware update? The rear camera is stuck onto the car's windshield and cannot be easily removed, so if I need to connect and update, how would I go about doing it?

Question 2: Now that I have updated the firmware and hopefully have removed the wifi bug, I still need a solution to my original question of the iPhone app not connecting to the camera.

Thank you and cheers
Yes, rear camera needs to be connected to update the rear. You can update while the camera is in the car. Just put the files on the card via a card reader and your PC, then put the card back in the camera (while it's connected in the car) and power it on.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator

That's normal. That means only FWA129S.bin is suitable for your model. You can delete the FWA129SN.bin.

After updating the firmware, please default the settings in the menu and press and hold the R button(on the camera body side) for about 5 secs to reset the dashcam.

Then use your phone to connect the dashcam's Wi-Fi and see if the new problem still exists.

tilt

Yes, rear camera needs to be connected to update the rear. You can update while the camera is in the car. Just put the files on the card via a card reader and your PC, then put the card back in the camera (while it's connected in the car) and power it on.
Uh oh! This means I have to do the update all over again - copy the files onto the camera etc. Well, c'est la Vie!

Cheers

tilt

That's normal. That means only FWA129S.bin is suitable for your model. You can delete the FWA129SN.bin.

After updating the firmware, please default the settings in the menu and press and hold the R button(on the camera body side) for about 5 secs to reset the dashcam.

Then use your phone to connect the dashcam's Wi-Fi and see if the new problem still exists.
Thank you. I shall try this after I do the update again following "Capture You Action"'s method.

Cheers

tilt

OK, I followed "Capture Your Action"'s method; the camera went through the lights-blinking-sequence of the update; started up fine etc.

However, when I pressed the Wifi button on teh camera, the same exact error popped up again (AP error, same screen as shown in my video).

Now what, I wonder!

Cheers

Capture Your Action

OK, I followed "Capture Your Action"'s method; the camera went through the lights-blinking-sequence of the update; started up fine etc.

However, when I pressed the Wifi button on teh camera, the same exact error popped up again (AP error, same screen as shown in my video).

Now what, I wonder!

Cheers
After the update, did you go into the cameras settings and manually default the camera? Do so if you did not. You should also then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.

VIOFO-Support

Administrator

Now what, I wonder!

Cheers
Usually, this firmware can somewhat solve the Wi-Fi issue. But it doesn't work with your dashcam, we recommend you contact the seller for a replacement.

tilt

After the update, did you go into the cameras settings and manually default the camera? Do so if you did not. You should also then press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.
Thank you, yes I did follow Viofo-Support's recommendations too after I updated the firmware. It did not help.

Cheers