Standby battery saving

dedal100

Hi everyone!
I have a question about standby mode.
I use my Git2 to make videos with camera mounted on glider wing. Before take off I need to power on the camera manually and during my flights I can remote control camera shutter by wrist controller. While random flight I take couple short movies... only in interesting moments. For example 6-7 movies which summary recording time is about 15-25 minutes. Typical flight lasts about 3-5hours, but my Git2 in that type of working (more standby operating, less video capturing and wifi off, LCD off, 180p60, wFOW, color normal, bitrate medium, Side Led off, and everything else on auto) can life on one full charged battery about 1h:45' with gyro ON, and about 2h:15' with gyro OFF. That is showing that standby mode needs pretty much power.
Is there any chance to reduce power consumption in standby mode and extend battery lifetime in this working conditions? If it matters, firmware is now 1.4.
Thanks for Your help!
Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:

dedal100

Thank You for answer!
By standby I mean, when gitup is switched on, but isn't taking pictures or recording video. Just turned on and waiting for me to press shutter button. I thought that in this mode, camera wouldn't consuming much power, because it "isn't doing anything" then... Today I made small test... My git2 can stay turned on (without taking pictures/recording video) for 2h:45'. Can I extend that time somehow? Or is there any chance to remote turning ON camera in future firmware revisions?

denisov70

In fact, screen itself does not consume so much power in contrast to processor or matrix. I have measured the current from USB supply without battery in camera. I found that in Video or Photo modes camera consumes 0.30A (0.27A) with switched on (off) screen (camera did not record anything at this time, WiFi - turned off). And I was really surprised when found that camera consumes just 0.1A! in Replay mode. That is 3 times lower than in the former modes. Moreover RF control worked in this time. Not correct, but worked. That means that in principle it is possible to lower power consumption in "standby mode". I hope that camera developers will take this in mind in future firmwares.

dedal100

Great news! So theoretically it should be possible to extend batery life only by allowing to operate with RC from replay mode :)
How do You submitting new ideas to camera developers? Are They reading this forum?

denisov70

I just can suppose that in Replay mode Image sensor is inactive that results in lower power consumption. I could not find datasheet for IMX206 sensor, but according to webpage (if it is correct part number of sensor) sensor power consumption is about 280mW. This corresponds to current about 0.06 A at 5V supply. But the difference between Video mode and Replay mode is 0.2A. It means that processor consume additional ~0.14A in Video mode. Most probably for image processing. It looks most likely that when screen is switched off both sensor and processor work continuously. Of course, it is necesssary when camera is recording video or movement detector is active. But when camera just wait for signal from remote control it would be better to turn off the sensor at all. And turn it on back promptly when necessary. It is my opinion/
Regarding to the later question: here is so called "product manager", "gitup" at the forum. But I affraid that his role is just consumer support. Not developer. Probably he reads this thread and can resend our wish to developers.

dedal100

But when camera just wait for signal from remote control it would be better to turn off the sensor at all. And turn it on back promptly when necessary.
That would solve this issue in 100%.
So we can olny hope that somebody from Gitup will see this thread :)
Thank You for Your help!

KW New England

Here's a possible solution. You could attach a power bank with far more capacity than the stock battery. Of course you would have to make a hole in the protective case or not use it at all. It doesn't sound like being totally waterproof is necessary for your application.

dedal100

Hi!
I wrote a message to gitup (from gitup.com contact) about this issue. I attached link to this thread to show them correctly what I mean. They replied that better battery will be introduced in next gitup camera, and also They are thinking about ability to turning on camera by wrist controller. But I don't know if it will be able for Git2 (in next firmwares) or maybe for new product.
I thought about attaching power bank to my wing mount and supply git2 from it by usb cable.. but I would like to save waterproof case from drilling holes etc., so now I will try to feed git2 from one larger capacity li-ion (or li-pol) cell directly to camera +,- conectors. Do You think that it will work without third (PCM) connection?

denisov70

Hi.
This is encouraging news.
Do I right understand you that you are going to place high capacity battery inside your Git2?
I'm not sure what is the third contact for. But experience tell me that in mobile phones it is usually enough to use just two contacts: "+" and "-". So if you can find Li-ion battery of appropriate size and higher capacity it should work. However, you probably will need to use an external charger for this battery.
Good luck!

dedal100

Hi!
It would be a little problem to find larger capacity battery in this size... so I'm going to attach to my wing mount something like this one:
http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13dMzIpXXXXaTXXXXq6xXFXXXo/2015-New-2-pcs-Original-protected-18650-3-7-V-3400-mAh-rechargeable-battery-for-font.jpg
and connect git2 with it by 2x0,014mm2 wires (with this wiring waterproof case can be closed correctly without drilling holes). With this battery I will get better (smaller) drag of whole system, becouse it is smaller than typical power bank, and 3400mAh should be enough for my application.
I should fit to my mount like it is shown in attached picture.

denisov70

It is good idea. Better than to use 5V power bank and USB input. But take into account the resistance of wires which you will use. The copper resistivity is 0.018 Ohm*mm^2/m. So each meter of wire yields R=0.018/0.014=1.3 Ohm. So voltage drop at 1m line is Vdrop = 2*R*I=2*1.3*0.3=0.78 V (taking I=0.3A, and 2 wires in line). It is unacceptable. So use the thin wires as short as possible. Ideally use them only to pass through the box sealign. Then connect the thin wires with more thick wires to decrease voltage drop.

dedal100

I made a quick calculations too.
percentage voltage drop will be dU=(2*In*l*100)/(σ*Un*s) [%] = 3,8% which is about 0,15V voltage drop on 20cm line (equal Yours 0,78V/5).
I will measure that on real system when I will set it up.

This is voltage-capacity characteristic for similiar battery (I chose at last Vappower 26650 5200mAh 3,7V):
https://www.google.pl/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-8c7Wr9HMAhWJlSwKHQiJCW0QjBwIBA&url=http://lygte-info.dk/pic/Batteries2012/Keeppower%2026650%205200mAh%20(Black)%202014/Keeppower%2026650%205200mAh%20(Black)%202014-Capacity.png&psig=AFQjCNErhOnjl1CGSrzEDTB2c9ZebEnTXw&ust=1463033775680827

Do You know voltage level at which Git2 shuts down? If I could know that level I could subtract voltage drop from it and determine usage capacity of this battery. Then we will se if gaining wire crossection will bring significant capacity profit.

denisov70

Hi!
For sure I do not know the voltage exactly. It is necessary to measurу the voltage at the device. That is not convenient due to position of contacts in camera. I think the shut down voltage lies between 3.0-3.2V. Lower discharge should damage the Li-ion battery. I think it makes sense to make a dummy battery from a piece of plastic or wood with size of original git2 battery with appropriate contacts connected with external wires. You would be able both to measure the shut down voltage and to use it in future to power your camera.

dedal100

I thought about to make battery size "adapter" from fiberglass or other dielectric material, that would be easy to shape like original git battery. By that "adapter" I will feed the git2.
To check shut down voltage I could measure drained by git camera battery voltage, but this measure wont be precise becouse then battery wont be loaded while measuring.
Howewer... this weekend I should set this circuit up and it will came out how long git2 will be able to stay turned on or how long it will record video on external battery.

Thanks for Your help!
This solution (extra battery, additional wiring and homemade plug for gitup power socket) wouldn't be necessary if only we could turn on camera remotelly or gitup could introduce "realy" standby mode in future firmwares...

dedal100

Hi!
News for those who are/will be in my situation (first post):
I set up my system, charged new li-ion (26650 Vappower 3,7V 5200mAh) and turned on Git2.
With gyro off, LCD on, LEDs on, 1080p60, and everything on auto, gitup stayed turned on (not recording) for 4h 15';) but...
1. I have only li-pol charger, and I can not use it for li-ion batteries...:confused: so I charged new li-ion by Gitup dual slot charger... it lasted for about 12 hours but finnaly green led indicated charging finish.. I don't know why.. but this charger stops charging on 4,09V, so if I finally get better li-ion charger, the battery life would increase ;)
2. When, after more than 4hours Git2 turned off I checked battery voltage... And my measure was suprising (for me) :cool: At 3,72V Git2 powers off. So battery capacity isn't used in whole range...:cool:
Tomorrow I would like to test it in the air. I will se how it's going to work in smaller temperature...

gitup

Product Manager
Staff member
Website
www.gitup.com
@dedal100, you are almost right, it will stop charge after reached 4.2V, and power off while less than 3.8V.

We are working new battery now, it will be available in 30 to 40 days.
As the size is still same as before, so it's hard to improve much capacity, but better quality.