Viofo A119S V2 + GPS logger - connection problems.

rafalgizmo

Does anyone has problem with connection between camera Viofo A119S and GPS logger, version 2 ?

I know about problem in V1, but V2 should be already fixed.

I bought 2 A119S V2 with GPS Logger on December and since April their work is unstable. When car is parked, parking mode should be on, but cams like to switch and record video in drive mode or record 30s or 2 min. movies instead 1 min. I thought this was camera fault.
Then I bought third A119S and notice that contacts on the top are on the same level with the housing. Third camera worked per 2 days and same problem appeared. Then I've noticed that contacts sunked a bit. Because of connection problem between camera and GPS, camera sometimes is turning off without worning or cannot switch to parking mode.

Problem appear with warm and hot days. In April was about 22C outside and last days was 31C outside. More in the sun.
I decided to open the one A119S and see why contacts sunked. The plastic transparent holder is bented and this is why contacts aren't in place and there is a problem with the connection.
Looks like the plastic transparent holder is not able to endure 50C in the sun inside the car, without changing shape.

Viofo, are you able to fix it ? I don't think that I'm only one with this issue.

Attachments

IMC

I agree - Viofo what is your fix?

I really like the camera and the quality of video and I just bought another one - a V2 of course so I am a repeat customer. Please reward my loyalty by providing a fix for this connection issue with the V1 A119S.

The very reason to have a dash cam is to record an incident and when the camera is unreliable, it totally defeats the reason to use one!

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
For the V2 version, there are some cameras GPS connection pin is not flat, so caused the connection issue.
Please contact us to replace it.
This part is seriously checked before we shipping.

IMC

For the V2 version, there are some cameras GPS connection pin is not flat, so caused the connection issue.
The issue is with the V1 version that has flat contacts on the camera and spring-loaded pins (pogo pins) on the GPS/mounting bracket. I checked the flat contacts on the camera and they are clean and in the correct position (they did not "sink" deeper into the camera for example).

So the issue appears to be the spring-loaded pins. Will the V2 GPS/mounting bracket work with the V1 camera? If it will work with the V1 camera, that may solve the intermittent power connection issues. The intermittent power totally corrupts all video files - so the camera is effectively useless in its current condition/operation.

Last edited:

gary

I too am having connection issues with the V2 version. The pins on my GPS unit do not seem to extent out far enough to maintain contact causing the unit to have significant connection issues.

IMC

The work around is to use the mini USB connection on the side of the camera instead of the one on the GPS/mounting bracket attached to your windshield. The pogo-pins reverse feed power to the GPS unit which means you still have positioning/speed data. Of course the root problem of the power connection issues will no doubt result in loss/errors of the GPS data points. I can live with that for the time being - the core function of recording video reliably is restored.

With the mini USB cable connected to the side of the camera, it looks messy as compared to using the socket on the GPS/bracket and of course have reliable GPS data collection. So I would still like to solve this hopefully using the V2 GPS/mounting bracket.

gary

When I used the mini USB connection on the side of the camera, the camera did not get GPS information when recording.

IMC

@gary: so your mounts' pogo-pins really aren't making a very good connection at all!

Looking at images of the V1 and V2 mounts, I am not confident now that the V2 mount will actually function correctly with a V1 camera. The main concern is the depth of the contact strips on the V1 camera. The V2 contact strips are level with the plastic housing whereas on the V1, they are inset so its possible the V2 flat contact spring-like pins won't extend deep enough into the V1 camera slots to make a solid electrical connection. Additionally, it appears VIOFO had to further mitigate vibration induced contact issues using shims made of self adhesive EVA foam which may bring the contact pins even further away from the camera contact slots/strips.

So VIOFO - a little guidance / input is required please....

Credit to Car Cam Central for the attached image.

Attachments

gary

I believe the V2 mount pins are too easily compressed and loose their flexibility so they don't extend far enough to connect with a V2 camera.

gary

I used a wooden toothpick to gentle extend the GPS metal connectors so they now reach the V2 camera.

Stix2002

I have this same problem with my A119 V2. I bought a replacement GPS which said for models after April 2017 (mine was purchased in June 2017 from Viofo via Amazon) and it is apparently not compatible at all. The camera works without the GPS and with the power connected directly to the camera but not when the power is connected to the GPS. So now I have one dead GPS, one incompatible GPS and a camera which only works when plugged directly to the power. My serial number is A11917033961

gary

I have this same problem with my A119 V2. I bought a replacement GPS which said for models after April 2017 (mine was purchased in June 2017 from Viofo via Amazon) and it is apparently not compatible at all. The camera works without the GPS and with the power connected directly to the camera but not when the power is connected to the GPS. So now I have one dead GPS, one incompatible GPS and a camera which only works when plugged directly to the power. My serial number is A11917033961
Are you sure you purchased a V2? My V2 has v2 in the serial number?

Do the pins on the GPS align with the metal contacts on the back of the camera?

Stix2002

Thanks and no I am not sure. The picture in the ad and description is my only clue as to what version I bought. It is entirely possible that I was shipped old stock as it was June 2017 whereas the cutoff date was April 2017 (only 2 months before). The new style has the angled (folded) connectors rather than the round spring connectors and yes they appear to line up and make proper contact. what I am starting to believe is that I was actually shipped a V1 A119 which is compounding my problem. It doesn't seem like anyone from Viofo has been following this thread for two weeks now, so I am not optimistic in getting a resolution any time soon.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
It seems the one you got is V1 version.
If you want to solve the issue and prefer to power on the camera from GPS mount, we suggest you ship it back to us to get replaced.
PM sent.

PatenLowe

Hello...the issue appears to be the spring-loaded pins. Will the V2 GPS/mounting bracket work with the V1 camera? If it will work with the V1 camera, that may solve the intermittent power connection issues. The above issues will not occur if the pcb assembly of the circuit is well designed. So always take care about pcb design, material and components embedded on it. The intermittent power totally corrupts all video files - so the camera is effectively useless in its current condition/operation.

Last edited:

fitz43

I too have started experiencing issues with the GPS logger camera connection. The screen flickers and I get a beep. I have a A119 V2.
What do I need to do to get this resolved? Thanks.

Capture Your Action

I too have started experiencing issues with the GPS logger camera connection. The screen flickers and I get a beep. I have a A119 V2.
What do I need to do to get this resolved? Thanks.
Are any of the GPS prongs bent? Are they all the same height?

Inspect the GPS contact area on the back of the camera. The area that the GPS prongs contact on the back of the camera should be about flush with the back of the camera. Is it depressed at all? Is it loose?