Wide Dynamic Range - WDR On or Off ?

BCHobbyist

Website
viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com
WDR can help brighten very dark shadows or darken very bright sky. It can work well under certain lighting conditions but also degrade video with increased glare, blur and graininess. My preference is to disable Wide Dynamic Range image processing feature because of what it does to my night footage. Many Drivers use WDR to improve license plate readability at the cost of degrading overall scene realistic composition, for accident evidence recording this is useful and understandable.
Do you use WDR feature?

benkar

WDR can help brighten very dark shadows or darken very bright sky. It can work well under certain lighting conditions but also degrade video with increased glare, blur and graininess. My preference is to disable Wide Dynamic Range image processing feature because of what it does to my night footage. Many Drivers use WDR to improve license plate readability at the cost of degrading overall scene realistic composition, for accident evidence recording this is useful and understandable.
Do you use WDR feature?

I don't use WDR, but I'm still not very happy with the picture. There are still records from both the front and rear cameras with squares. As if some video compression? I don't know what to do with it. On your video, I noticed that turning on the WDR problem with the squares will improve a bit, but at the expense of reducing overall video quality (blur).

Attachments

Last edited:

BCHobbyist

Website
Remember to disable WiFi before driving for maximum video quality.
While driving there will always be blocky pixelation over complex patterns such as road surface or trees, its usually caused by low light or low MP4 bitrate. If it disappears when vehicle stops its from low bitrate. You can try my new and best FW1.50 modified firmware which boosts Bitrates, suggest MOD-6Ur or 7Ur or 8Ur for improved complex pattern detail, loading 33 Mb/s MOD eliminates blocks on front camera but creates huge MP4 files.
Download A129 MODs > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html

benkar

Remember to disable WiFi before driving for maximum video quality.
While driving there will always be blocky pixelation over complex patterns such as road surface or trees, its usually caused by low light or low MP4 bitrate. If it disappears when vehicle stops its from low bitrate. You can try my new and best FW1.50 modified firmware which boosts Bitrates, suggest MOD-6Ur or 7Ur or 8Ur for improved complex pattern detail, loading 33 Mb/s MOD eliminates blocks on front camera but creates huge MP4 files.
Download A129 MODs > https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
Thanks. I don't use Wifi at all - I have an old WIFI phone. Your modes are very sympathetic (I've already tried some), but I'm afraid just the size of the records. I have a 128Gb SD card. How much video would it fit, when turning on both cameras at 1080p?

BCHobbyist

Website
Suggest you try 26 Mb/s MOD-6UR , drive around the block and compare to previous footage.
I use 64 GB memory cards,
recording at 26 Mb/s = Front 400 MB clip + Rear 280 MB clip
todays card has 44 GB of footage 2 min loop clips = 140 MP4 files = 70 Front + 70 Rear = 140 mins = 2 hours 20 mins recorded.
128 GB card at 26 Mb/s = 406 MP4 files = 406 mins = 6 hours 46 mins

benkar

Suggest you try 26 Mb/s MOD-6UR , drive around the block and compare to previous footage.
I use 64 GB memory cards,
recording at 26 Mb/s = Front 400 MB clip + Rear 280 MB clip
todays card has 44 GB of footage 2 min loop clips = 140 MP4 files = 70 Front + 70 Rear = 140 mins = 2 hours 20 mins recorded.
128 GB card at 26 Mb/s = 406 MP4 files = 406 mins = 6 hours 46 mins
THX.

Devilment

Many Drivers use WDR to improve license plate readability at the cost of degrading overall scene realistic composition, for accident evidence recording this is useful and understandable.
Well, that's the main reason why I'm fitting a dash cam :D

So, which of your bit rate mod files would you recommend for such a purpose? Any other settings you'd recommend for this particular scenario? WiFi off seems to be one of the biggies to improve recording quality regardless of what one intends to use the footage for.