True HDR will be supported on V3.

He will not be, otherwise he would already be, and would he, if they make version 2.00
If they make 2.0?

As I understand the 2.0 release is close and that it will happen. The question is how long it's gonna take.

They started this thread March 24 and so far it's only been testing versions that they have releases here with some bugs, at this point I feel like they should be very close to a final version.

Would be interesting if Viofo would comment on when we can expect a new release. Are we talking days, weeks, months or years?

jeffguy

Very impressed with the night quality on the latest HDR testing firmware. If Novatek/Viofo are not able to correct the "ghost" image issue (where some frames seem interpolated) then the next best thing would be if the firmware could automatically enable HDR when it is in a low light area and disable HDR when there is sufficient light.

Valeri240149

This is my modification of the latest firmware!
A119 V3 Dash Camera, Version Number V2.00T
HDR_ON

triodak

I would not expect, that fix to those ghost images will be released soon by Novatek, as it need a lot of work.

HDR used here is capturing two exposure images at different exposure levels and combining those to single image. Unfortunately it is done in frame after frame mode without motion detection and motion compensation algorithms. Algorithms that will use some CPU resources.

HDR at 30fps means 16,7ms delay between two frames (long and short exposure ones).
At 36km/h we have 10m/s = 1000cm / 1000ms
1ms delay is 1cm and we have over 16 cm ghosts on those images in side areas.

Better would be use of DOL-HDR build in Sony sensor that read out each pixel twice in succession and combine those in the sensor to form an HDR data line. I believe that this sensor uses even the second-generation DOL with virtual channel technology (feeding CPU with two image streams one from short exposure and second from long exposure). Still some some motion detection and motion compensation algorithms need to be implemented but will have easier job to do.

With implementation of DOL-HDR in two streams mode, the delay (between long and short exposure frames) is greatly reduced (I would bet between 50x to 100x = just 1,6mm of ghosts).
Introducing Active Radiance Map of created HDR images with feedback from tone mapping algorithm would allow to actively change exposure time on frame basis and improve local contrast. (now when entering or leaving tunel the reaction is too slow and final image to dark). That why many users see -EV in settings as a must.

Introducing ROI (Region of interest) in a belt from left to right with height of around half of the sensor lines would allow concentrate CPU resources for this most important area.

At night detecting two light sources (car headlights) in ROI would allow to concentrate even more on area between them.

Other (than in software) possibilities are in hardware and particularity in IMX464 sensor. At twice better base sensitivity than IMX335 and almost five times higher usable one it is something for A119 V4 but its size (9mm from 6,5mm) means new approach for DVR build and higher price.

I am really looking forward for good news and for implementation of as many thing as possible as soon as possible.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
I would not expect, that fix to those ghost images will be released soon by Novatek, as it need a lot of work.

HDR used here is capturing two exposure images at different exposure levels and combining those to single image. Unfortunately it is done in frame after frame mode without motion detection and motion compensation algorithms. Algorithms that will use some CPU resources.

HDR at 30fps means 16,7ms delay between two frames (long and short exposure ones).
At 36km/h we have 10m/s = 1000cm / 1000ms
1ms delay is 1cm and we have over 16 cm ghosts on those images in side areas.

Better would be use of DOL-HDR build in Sony sensor that read out each pixel twice in succession and combine those in the sensor to form an HDR data line. I believe that this sensor uses even the second-generation DOL with virtual channel technology (feeding CPU with two image streams one from short exposure and second from long exposure). Still some some motion detection and motion compensation algorithms need to be implemented but will have easier job to do.
View attachment 704

With implementation of DOL-HDR in two streams mode, the delay (between long and short exposure frames) is greatly reduced (I would bet between 50x to 100x = just 1,6mm of ghosts).
Introducing Active Radiance Map of created HDR images with feedback from tone mapping algorithm would allow to actively change exposure time on frame basis and improve local contrast. (now when entering or leaving tunel the reaction is too slow and final image to dark). That why many users see -EV in settings as a must.

Introducing ROI (Region of interest) in a belt from left to right with height of around half of the sensor lines would allow concentrate CPU resources for this most important area.

At night detecting two light sources (car headlights) in ROI would allow to concentrate even more on area between them.

Other (than in software) possibilities are in hardware and particularity in IMX464 sensor. At twice better base sensitivity than IMX335 and almost five times higher usable one it is something for A119 V4 but its size (9mm from 6,5mm) means new approach for DVR build and higher price.

I am really looking forward for good news and for implementation of as many thing as possible as soon as possible.
You are right. Novatek replied they can not solve this issue while there is car coming from the opposite.
So we are going to release the V2.0 now.

You are right. Novatek replied they can not solve this issue while there is car coming from the opposite.
So we are going to release the V2.0 now.
Ok so is this release scrapped now with the HDR support? If so I guess the thread could be closed?

Maybe it then would be better to have the HDR optional depending on the environments light. Off during day, On during night. This is something that should be easier to implement and has been requested by a few other users than me.

Last edited:

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so is this release scrapped now with the HDR support? If so I guess the thread could be closed?

Maybe it then would be better to have the HDR optional depending on the environments light. Off during day, On during night. This is something that should be easier to implement and has been requested by a few other users than me.
How about the HDR only works on 19:00 to 5:00?

I honestly think that it would be better to measure the amount of light and determine if it's bright enough otherwise I can see potential issues with how a hardcoded time window for it could result in somewhat questionable videos because of the use of it.

I live in Sweden and during summer we have more or less bright outside 24/7 and in the winter the opposite it's dark 24/7.

Therefor I would appreciate if the HDR on/off activation would be based on the amount of light that is outside.

But I guess the best overall would be if the camera would base its decision if it should use HDR or not on the GPS location of the vehicle and what date it's. So it would know when sunrise and sunset is.

A hardcoded time window would be well functional for only maybe 10-30% of the year for us. A hardcoded window as suggested would be fine thru out the year for regions around the equator but for regions closer to the poles this wouldn't be functional as intended at all for the majority of the year.

Valeri240149

And during the day when the sun is in your forehead, what do you see, and white nights?
Do not touch the HDR and do not listen to stupid things, if you cannot do it, we will do it ourselves.
To whom it does not fit, turn off the HDR in the menu and that's it !!
P. S.
Or make it as a test option!
Remove overexposures in the firmware.
You do not edit the metering table at all, in all versions it is the same!
VIOFO, do automatically turn on the HDR, this is when bright and dark lighting !! ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Łukasz

This is my modification of the latest firmware!
A119 V3 Dash Camera, Version Number V2.00T
HDR_ON
Hello:)
I'v just both the camera. Is it possible to get the firmware with your modification V2.00T?
Does it work properly with HDR on durign a day and night?
Regards

Stras

Not bad. I also want such software in my A119V3. Is there shooting in the afternoon with sunshine in the forehead?