Search results

1. GilesP

Video quality

Thanks for the pointer - I will have a look at the settings again and consider the firmware option when I get some time, at the moment I need to get the rear camera installed and running and then consider the situation again.
  2. GilesP

Video quality

File is 442MB, 3min segment length, Bitrate is 20kb/s encoded using H264 60fps (I'm not running the rear camera at the moment).
  3. GilesP

3 wire hardwire kit - request

I'll agree that magnetic choke is a bit of a nuisance, it's seems to be positioned just about far enough away from the plug to allow it to get in the way of the trim you're trying to hide it behind. removable would be ideal, however failing that, maybe a bit further from the plug, or at the...
  4. GilesP

Video quality

Straight off I can confirm the bitrate is set to high, and the CPL filter is attached. The windshield is as clean as it likely to be, it's seen nearly 100,000 miles and isn't in the first flush of youth, however I make a point of regularly degreasing the inside. I think the firmware is 1.50 -...
  5. GilesP

Rear camera cable and general socket/cable issues

I may try this technique when I get my longer cable, as there should be enough length to allow a tidy fitting via the one of the cable boots into the tailgate wiring, assuming there's enough space in the boot..
  6. GilesP

Three Wire Kit Strangeness

I think if you park in the same place, all the time, it's probably not an issue, but if you park in a variety of different environments, parking mode may be unsuitable - for example having motion triggered parking mode on a busy road or shop car-park would fill your card with recordings - see my...
  7. GilesP

Yet another feature request - parking modes

Could there be a future firmware update that allows quick and easy toggling between different types of parking mode? And additionally a distinction between G-sensor triggering and motion sensing? For example, parking on a busy road would cause too many motion triggers, were as a shock/G-sensor...
  8. GilesP

Video quality

By and large, it's not too bad. I need to compare it with some footage from my old Mini 0803 to see how well it shapes up, but I always felt the mini0803 showed less artifacts, however that might not actually be the case. It bugs me that the visible compression artifacts is inconsistent, some...
  9. GilesP

How to set wifi to 5ghz on A129 Duo

Have you tried setting it via the camera's on board menu, rather than the app?
  10. GilesP

Installation headache - rear camera cable too short

I made the classic mistake of starting to run the cable before getting the full measure of it, it looked as though it would be ok. I was mistaken. I could probably have got it to work if it was just 300mm longer. Now I have 2ft of USBish cable flapping around on my dash as I don't have the...
  11. GilesP

Need help with 256 GB Samsung EVO SDXC Card with Viofo A129 DUO

Are you sure a 256GB card will work - the manual states up to 128GB Have you tried formatting on a PC first? Do any other SD cards work in the dashcam?
  12. GilesP

Video quality

I've not been running my camera for long (i.e. just this morning) I'm finding compression artifacts on playback, Using VLC and also the window 10 inbuilt video player. Typically this is on number-plate detail, though sometimes it is ok, I guess it's a function of the compression settings, some...
  13. GilesP

Sadly, I'm in the UK.
  14. GilesP

Just ordered the 8m cable. A little put off by the 14-28 days shipping, as it'll be another month until I can get the rear camera running. :(
  15. GilesP

The headlining is stuck enough for it to be ruled out as a method of routing cables. All the internal wiring for the rear of the roof (aerial and boot light) comes up the D pillar. Guess I'll be buying an 8m cable. Does anyone want a slightly used 6m cable :)
  16. GilesP

Hiya Finally got around to installing my A129 Duo in my Audi Avant. Almost. Front camera went in fine, as did the power wiring using the 3 wire kit, nicely installed by the relay box under the steering wheel, etc.. I discovered that Audi, in their wisdom, have glued the headlining to the roof...
  17. GilesP

Sadly I can't see that happening - the reality is the modified-mini-usb style connection with it's 10 connections (rather than the 5 usually found in them) is quite a feat of high density connector technology. Ok, USB C would also tick that box, but it is not as rugged (in my opinion) as the...
  18. GilesP

Another feature request

Here's another idea I had recently: Parking mode, when triggered by motion, could it be specified to include/exclude front or rear cameras? I'm sure in many cases, when parked on a driveway the front/rear of the car faces the road, with the usual passing traffic. This would needlessly trigger...
  19. GilesP

Good point. I guess that is highly dependent on your preferred routing. I did not use the rubber boot/sleeve on my wife's car during install, it's too full of cables already and wouldn't have made access to the cameras intended location any easier. However when I finally get around to fitting...
  20. GilesP

Feature request: microSD card health monitoring

Typically if there was anything of interest, I'd be pulling it off the card at the first opportunity anyway, as forgetting may leave it open to being overwritten anyway. I don't agree with scheduled reformatting as SD cards have a limited number of read-write cycles anyway, and reformatting is...