Git2 Firmware 1.5 WiFi frozen

Blackhawk

So far this is a pretty slick camera - love the gyro stabilization compared to competitor devices. However, I just updated the firmware from the original 1.1 that came on the device to the new 1.5 and now the WiFi refuses to start. Read the TL;DR bolded text for a summary.

The WiFi worked as expected in Git2 Firmware v1.1

In 1.1, long pressing the settings button causes the WiFi/hourglass loading icon to appear for a few seconds, then the blue WiFi light to start flashing and the SSID/PWD to display on the screen. I was able to connect with FN Cam (though oddly not FinalCam which I understand is the current officially suggested app [edit: I was able to get FinalCam working! I had to "Forget" the GIT2 wifi network from my phone, add it back manually with the pw, then go back into the app and add it there too]).

First I updated to Git2 Firmware v1.5

I followed the instructions on the Git2 Firmware Page (http://www.gitup.com/en/content/8-how-to-upgrade-the-firmware-for-gitup-git2) to install 1.5 as follows, especially with GIT2LD since the version on the device was 1.2:

• Use max. 32GB card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  • Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
  • Copy just the GIT2LD.bin on the root of the card
  • After GIT2LD.bin is copied to the card disconnect the camera from computer
  • Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait few seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu
  • Delete GIT2LD.bin from the card using your PC and
  • Copy the GIT2FW.bin file on the root of the card
  • Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front green LED and back red LED will be blinking while upgrading.
  • After the "Mass Storage/PC Camera" screen came up, I disconnected, booted the Git2 up, and verified the version as "GIT2_V15_0621"
Afterwards, the WiFi would freeze while loading

Unfortunately, when I attempted to long press the settings button to start the WiFi after this update to 1.5, the screen simply showed the WiFi/hourglass loading icon and became unresponsive. The video behind the icon was still live, so the device itself wasn't frozen. Pressing any of the buttons caused the standard "beep" but nothing else. Long pressing shutter or settings buttons did nothing. Long pressing the power button causes the video behind the icon to turn to a black screen with the icon still frozen in the foreground. Continuing to long press the power button will eventually cause the device to shutdown completely.

If I leave the Git2 just sitting with the WiFi/hourglass loading icon on, it eventually automatically shuts down as I would expect, except the blue WiFi light remains lit and I have to long press the power button to get it to shut down completely.

I downgraded to Git2 Firmware v1.4

Just to see if the WiFi issue was a software problem or a hardware problem, I downgraded to Git2 Firmware v1.4. I followed these steps:

• Use max. 32GB card formatted by camera or on computer as FAT32
  • Insert card in camera and connect it to computer using USB cable
  • Download GIT2FW_20160324.zip and extract the GIT2FW.bin file to the root of the card
  • Reconnect the camera to your computer and wait more seconds until you can chose Mass Storage from camera menu, the front green LED and back red LED will be blinking while upgrading.
  • After the "Mass Storage/PC Camera" screen came up, I disconnected, booted the Git2 up, and verified the version as "GIT2_V1.4_0324"
The WiFi started working again

Just like in v1.1, long pressing the settings button causes the WiFi/hourglass loading icon to appear for a few seconds, then the blue WiFi light to start flashing and the SSID/PWD to display on the screen and I was able to connect from FN Cam.

Can anyone suggest things to try to get WiFi working in 1.5? Would updating to the Git2 Firmware v1.5 beta help?

Last edited by a moderator:

cocodrolo

Same for me.
My git2 came with 1.4 0324, wifi worked OK, but when I updated the firmware with official 1.5 0621 the hourglass kept frozen and ESSID and passwords were never displayed.
The only way I found to recover the working mode of the camera was to extract the battery and insert it again.

I tried several times keeping the camera on for maybe 10 minutes, but the hourglass display always frozen.

Back to 1.3 0324 and wifi worked fine again.

As a last trial, I updated to beta 1.5 0527, which is the one I'm running at the moment, the wifi in beta 1.5 0527 doesn't hang, but it's disappointing to not be able to run the official firmware.

If it may help the developers, my Git2 is running with a 64 Gb card, I think it's the only customization that may affect SW functionality.

nencuc

I have exactly the same problem as yours
If it may help the developers, my Git2 is running also with a 64 Gb card and came from 1.4

Help please, it´s a generic bug or only for 64 gb card users?

lellogtr

Hello I have exactly the same problem as yours,
If it may help the developers, my Git2 is running also with a 32 Gb and 64Gb card and came from 1.4 firmware the problem is in the 1.5 software .
the wifi is frozen and still after upgrade to 1.5.

Help please, it´s a generic bug Firmware.

Aiden

As said from cocodrolo, with 1.5 Beta there isn't this problem

Beek

Same problem. Downgrading to GIT2FW--V1.5B--0422 fixes the issue, but there is a new issue where the camera loses it's IP address after a while or drops the connection.

Copperface

Same here with most of the above. Upgraded firmware from the 1.4 that the camera came with to the stable 1.5 - the camera went throught the motions of upgrading but then just froze. Plugged it in bia USB and kept pressing the power button - screen and LEDS would flash quickly and then nothing.
Only way I got it back was by removing the battery, and downgrading the firmware back to 1.4 by normal method with no battery in the compartment and just using power from USB.
Might try the 1.5 beta - where can I get that?

Otherwise, GitUp seems to have messed up this firmware release - these sorts of things need to be fairly foolproof for a mass market - I have followed the instructions to the letter but the firmware nearly made my camera inoperable and took a few hours to sort out.

gitup

Product Manager
Staff member
Website
www.gitup.com
Sorry about this Wi-Fi bug, this is fixed on V1.5.1, we are testing it now, will release soon.

Also we are going to release V1.6 beta version for testing.

l0ck

Sorry about this Wi-Fi bug, this is fixed on V1.5.1, we are testing it now, will release soon.

Also we are going to release V1.6 beta version for testing.
I have the same problem and I upgraded firmware v1.6 from the v1.5.
And now, wifi mode is working as good as it did in version 1.4