Parking Mode and Hardwire

Capture Your Action

If parking mode is turned off in the settings and the 3-wire kit is wired correctly, the camera should turn off (completely) when the car is shut off. It will not turn on and record with motion or g-sensor impact while the car is off.

If you want to use parking mode, then it must be turned on in the menu, power must be plugged directly into the camera, not the mount, and the camera must be running V1.5 or later (only V1.8 or later has buffered parking mode). If you set parking mode to Auto Event Detection, then when the car is turned off, the camera should enter parking mode within 5 seconds or so. You should hear a double beep and the icon of the little car on the LCD screen in the top left corner will change to the icon for Auto Event Detection (picture of a guy I think?). If this does not happen, then your 3-wire hardwire kit might not be connected correctly. Is your camera successfully entering parking mode?

With Auto Event Detection, the camera is relying on it's motion detection and g-sensor to record events. Keep in mind that motion detection can be sensitive and any motion can trigger the camera to continue to record. Even light changes can trigger motion detection. With parking mode turned on and Auto Event Detection selected, the camera will never turn off (unless the kit shuts it off due to it reaching the low voltage cutoff point). It will enter a standby mode and buffer footage to the onboard (not memory card) and only write footage to the memory card when motion is sensed or the g-sensor is triggered. Keep in mind that with firmware V1.8, there are settings for motion detection and g-sensor for regular recording and there are settings for motion detection and g-sensor for parking mode.

When you updated to V1.8, did you manually default the cameras settings? If not, you should definitely do so. This will ensure that not values from the previous firmware are present and messing with the new firmware.

brimeg37

If parking mode is turned off in the settings and the 3-wire kit is wired correctly, the camera should turn off (completely) when the car is shut off. It will not turn on and record with motion or g-sensor impact while the car is off.

If you want to use parking mode, then it must be turned on in the menu, power must be plugged directly into the camera, not the mount, and the camera must be running V1.5 or later (only V1.8 or later has buffered parking mode). If you set parking mode to Auto Event Detection, then when the car is turned off, the camera should enter parking mode within 5 seconds or so. You should hear a double beep and the icon of the little car on the LCD screen in the top left corner will change to the icon for Auto Event Detection (picture of a guy I think?). If this does not happen, then your 3-wire hardwire kit might not be connected correctly. Is your camera successfully entering parking mode?

With Auto Event Detection, the camera is relying on it's motion detection and g-sensor to record events. Keep in mind that motion detection can be sensitive and any motion can trigger the camera to continue to record. Even light changes can trigger motion detection. With parking mode turned on and Auto Event Detection selected, the camera will never turn off (unless the kit shuts it off due to it reaching the low voltage cutoff point). It will enter a standby mode and buffer footage to the onboard (not memory card) and only write footage to the memory card when motion is sensed or the g-sensor is triggered. Keep in mind that with firmware V1.8, there are settings for motion detection and g-sensor for regular recording and there are settings for motion detection and g-sensor for parking mode.

When you updated to V1.8, did you manually default the cameras settings? If not, you should definitely do so. This will ensure that not values from the previous firmware are present and messing with the new firmware.
I will check this out tonight and report back. Thanks.

brimeg37

I will check this out tonight and report back. Thanks.
I checked the wiring and found that the accessory terminal I was using was not in fact an accessory but rather constant power. That would account for the device never going into park mode. However now the device is not powering on. I will try connecting to a computer to confirm it is the device and go from there.

Capture Your Action

I would use a USB wall charger for power. Computer USB ports are underpowered for the camera and the camera will simply boot to Mass Storage mode (blue screen) if using the short data cable.

Iturra

I keep seeing that the USB needs to be plugged into camera for parking mode. How does plugging the USB power into GPS mount affect parking mode compared to directly into the camera? I have the 3 wire kit installed.

andreng

I don't want the HK3 to be connected to the battery all the time, can I connect the ACC and BATT by connecting them to the ACC so that the power to the HK3 comes only when the engine is running? It so happened that I have HK3.

Capture Your Action

I don't want the HK3 to be connected to the battery all the time, can I connect the ACC and BATT by connecting them to the ACC so that the power to the HK3 comes only when the engine is running? It so happened that I have HK3.
Yes, you can connect the yellow and red wires together to the same tap (camera with start and stop with the car). You can also wire it as required for parking mode, but simply turn parking mode off in the menu and the camera will only come on when the car is on. This way you can use parking mode when you want to without having to rewire it later.

Joebin

So I'm trying to figure this parking mode out...I turn my vehicle off but I think it continues recording. What are the red lights supposed to show on the camera? I have the 3 wire kit (yellow into ACC / red into constant on) but I can't tell if the camera is entering parking mode properly.

Attached is a picture of the camera when I was parked. Sorry I couldn't get it to focus but there's a green satellite looking icon on the right?

Attachments

Capture Your Action

So I'm trying to figure this parking mode out...I turn my vehicle off but I think it continues recording. What are the red lights supposed to show on the camera? I have the 3 wire kit (yellow into ACC / red into constant on) but I can't tell if the camera is entering parking mode properly.

Attached is a picture of the camera when I was parked. Sorry I couldn't get it to focus but there's a green satellite looking icon on the right?
Looks like you are currently in parking mode. The stick guy icon in the top left means it's in Auto Event Detection Mode. Your MIC is off FYI (I assume you know this). The satellite icon in green means you have GPS signal.
Once you start your car, the stick man icon should change to a car within about 5 seconds. After stopping the engine, the car icon should change to the stick man within about 5 seconds.

Joebin

Looks like you are currently in parking mode. The stick guy icon in the top left means it's in Auto Event Detection Mode. Your MIC is off FYI (I assume you know this). The satellite icon in green means you have GPS signal.
Once you start your car, the stick man icon should change to a car within about 5 seconds. After stopping the engine, the car icon should change to the stick man within about 5 seconds.
Just tested it. Buffered parking mode worked! Some videos were written to the card that were seemingly of nothing although?

Capture Your Action

I think Viofo is still tweaking the settings in parking mode, but keep in mind that lots of things can and will set off the motion detection. Swaying trees/bushes, changes in light, even the little blinking red dot lots of newer cars have on the top of the dash as part of its security system.

Joebin

I think Viofo is still tweaking the settings in parking mode, but keep in mind that lots of things can and will set off the motion detection. Swaying trees/bushes, changes in light, even the little blinking red dot lots of newer cars have on the top of the dash as part of its security system.
I am real happy that viofo has buffered parking but it almost seems pointless.

If an event were to occur, the camera has no notification system of an event occuring, it captures motion so there are too many videos to sort through and it doesn't automatically lock videos upon impact.

I have to conduct a check of my vehicle after I park it every single time to make sure I have no damage if I want a chance at seeing the footage

Capture Your Action

I am real happy that viofo has buffered parking but it almost seems pointless.

If an event were to occur, the camera has no notification system of an event occuring, it captures motion so there are too many videos to sort through and it doesn't automatically lock videos upon impact.

I have to conduct a check of my vehicle after I park it every single time to make sure I have no damage if I want a chance at seeing the footage
G-sensor events in parking mode are locked and moved to the RO folder. Motion activated parking mode files are stored in the regular DCIM folder.